Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩'s Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

SPOILERS GALORE! So, yeah. Watch out.

Oh, I seem to have kind of forgotten to review this. Well, a mixture of that and the fact that I don't really want to review it because I don't have that much to say.

Giving it four stars was pretty generous. It was actually somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me, but I decided to be nice and go with the higher rating. Don't get me wrong––it was still an enjoyable book. I just feel that at this point, Cassandra Clare is kind of just continuing this series for the lulz and not because she really needs to keep going with it.

I mean, sure, I did want to know what happened to Simon and whatnot after the third book ended. And if this was focused more on Simon and other minor characters, it might be more interesting. What I find annoying is that Cassie basically un-resolved everything that she'd resolved at the end of the third book.

What? You thought Sebastian was gone for good? LOL NOPE.
What? You thought Clary and Jace had finally gone through enough shit and will be together 5everz? LOL NOPE.

Gah, it's just very frustrating. It's still a somewhat interesting story, and I did enjoy reading this one for the most part. It's just ... eh. It's kind of just ... troll-ish.

Not only that, but the pacing could have used work. Hardly anything happened for like the entire first half of the book. A lot of it was just all the different couples arguing and then making up and making out or whatever.

And that's another thing that bugs me a bit ... the whole thing is very matchy-matchy. Like, EVERYONE has to be with SOMEONE. I mean, just the romance in general was rather annoying. For instance, it felt sorta weird that Maia got over Simon so fast, just because Jordan appeared. It's like ... oh, how convenient. And like, I like Isabelle and Simon for the most part, but ... I think their relationship still feels kind of underdeveloped. (Also that scene where he bit her was rather, um, creepy.) Speaking of creepy ... Sebastian still liking Clary. *Shudders* Oh, and MAGNUS AND ALEC BREAKING UP? WHAT THE FUCKITY FUCK?

Well anyway, as for the actual plot and stuff.

Errrm, I couldn't really decide if I thought it was cool or just really confusing. The idea of Jace and Sebastian being bonded and all was interesting, but it was just ... yeah. Confusing, as I said. I couldn't really tell how much Jace was being himself and how much he was being Sebastian––which I guess is the point, but it made it really hard to sympathize much with him. Plus, when Clary was around Jace, I honestly couldn't tell most of the time whether she was acting stupid to get information, or whether she was so dumb that she really couldn't get it through her head that Jace was possessed (AGAIN) and all. But yeah, the whole thing with Jace and Sebastian acting like BFFLs was pretty weird. I just kind of sat there like:

But there were actually things I liked! Oh yay! I liked that Clary actually became somewhat kickass and actually killed some demons. It was like, FINALLY! ... Better late than never, I guess. Although she was kind of weird about it. Like, killing things and then laughing her head off. Kinda scary. But, oh well.

And this is a bit random I guess, but I liked that part when Sebastian talked about how he and Clary were similar. Like, Clary caused the death of their father and she doesn't seem to give a single crap about it. So yeah, that makes her a bit evil doesn't it? I mean, of course Valentine was a terrible person. But still.

So, yeah. I think that's about all I have to say. This review is rather short and confusing, so I apologize for that. Basically, I thought this installment in the series was rather weird and had some flaws, but it was still pretty all right. It just isn't on the same level as the first three books, and I no longer have as much sympathy for the characters. Honestly I'm only like 10% excited for the next book ... well maybe more than that, but you get the idea. (I mean, what's going to happen in it? So ... Sebastian is not really dead (again)? And now ... Jace can glow in the dark? ... YIPPEE.)

Basically, I think this gif sums up my feelings:

----------

Before reading:

Okay. I don't really like the cover.

Don't get me wrong. It's a pretty cover. But ... agh. Jace and Clary's story came to a happy ending in City of Glass. Then Cassandra Clare claimed she was writing this sub-series about the other characters, so I was like, "Cool!" Because, you know, I'm interested more in what happens to Simon (not because he's my favorite character or anything, because he isn't) but because his story hasn't been resolved yet.

But no. Then Cassie had to go and mess up what she'd already fixed and make the whole Jace/Clary relationship all angsty again. ARRRRGH. JUST MAKE THEM FREAKING HAPPY. FOR ONCE. EVER.

Anyway. The point is, it just kind of ticks me off that the other characters were supposed to be the ones getting attention for once, and now the cover of the fifth book screams, "LOL JK THIS BOOK IS ALL ABOUT JACE AND CLARY!!" Just ... *headsmack*

Okay, I will stop ranting now. Point is, it's a nice cover. I just hate what it implies. And I'm looking forward much more to Clockwork Princess than to more Mortal Instruments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

August 6, 2010 – Shelved
May 29, 2012 –
page 100
18.69% "Okay, I just really don't know what to make of this so far. I'm not sure whether I'm angry or excited or scared or confused or ... what is this book. What is it.\n \n "
May 30, 2012 –
page 202
37.76% "Still not really sure how I feel about this. It's okay, but it's all just so ... odd. And Clary, could you get any more stupider? \n \n "
Started Reading
June 3, 2012 –
page 447
83.55% "WHAT. GROSS. GAH SEBASTIAN YOU NASTY..."
June 3, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 22, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 13, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 13, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 13, 2013 – Shelved as: romance

Maree yeah, I wasn't too hot on it either. People keep telling me it looks like I'm reading a romance, and while that's an aspect, that's definitely not all the story is.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Haha yeah exactly ... makes it look rather erotic. O_o

Katherine I took the cover off when I was reading this in public ;-)

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Bahaha I know you did. ;)

Shan  Xiao i AM only reading this because i keep thinking that Tessa will make an appearance like in city of glass. and i can't stand 8 months till Clockwork Princess comes out. D;

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ GAH I HOPE SO. And yes, I really need Clockwork Princess ... Nowwww.

Eugenie i feel the same about this book . and what was Sebastian thinking tryin to make Clary his , for god sake she is your sister ........... and in the end Jace and Clary still have to work out for there happy ending , that sucks

Maree Oh so great review - exactly my thoughts but a lot more fleshed out. Nice job!

Sarah souha I can't wait to read this book, was it good???

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Well, I think I basically cover that in the review ... lol. As I said, I thought it was enjoyable enough, but it wasn't the greatest. Not as good as the first three books.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Dat Sokka GIF <3
Yeah, I haven't even read CoFA yet. Just not worth it to me *Shrugs*

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Yes. <3

Yeahhh CoFA and CoLS just aren't that great. They're just okay, in my humble opinion.

message 15: by Hermione (last edited Jul 16, 2012 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione Well, at least you got your wish, kinda. Not everyone is matchy-matchy. 8D

And I totally agree w/ you about the cover ... While everyone loved it, it really reminded me of those cheap, trashy romance novels, you know?

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Yeah exactly. Looks kind of ... erotic. :P

Kaitlin I'm heartbroken over the fact Magnus and Alec broke up.D:

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ I know. Guhhh. Hopefully they'll get back together. Or ... I will strangle someone.

message 19: by Purpledove (new)

Purpledove Avatar and LILO and stitch gifs? I approve! Yay!!!

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Purpledove wrote: "Avatar and LILO and stitch gifs? I approve! Yay!!!"

Haha yay, both things that I love! :D