K. L. Petersen's Reviews > Home Safe

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg

bookshelves: 2015-reading-challenge

Berg's writing was warm and simple, with perfectly timed moments of radiance. I think you could feel her love for her characters. I would describe the book as effortlessly charming, even elegant. It's the kind of novel you read, not be challenged or teased or even entertained, but to relax. The kind of book you grab while you're wrapped in a blanket, holding a hot cup of tea, and want to read something honest and kind about life, love and loss. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone though. Some of the readers' reviews have been harsh and closed-minded. We live in a world that criticizes every female character in fiction and demands them to be strong and independent. To write about a vulnerable woman is obviously taboo now. I read a few comments that were just "feminists" ranting. They failed to appreciate all that was lovely about the writing, and focused only on the flaws Helen had. No woman is Wonder Woman. Humans are flawed. Widows are sad. Life is funny. Get over it, or read something else. Let the real readers enjoy this one. The ones that read, not to judge, but to live in a writer's words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Safe.

Quotes K. L. Liked

Elizabeth Berg
“She understood the specific kind of appreciation that comes to a person witnessing a thing of beauty alone, how the spectacle seems to sit whole inside the soul, undiminished by conversation, by any attempt at translation or persuasion.”
Elizabeth Berg, Home Safe

January 3, 2015 – Started Reading
January 3, 2015 – Shelved
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reading-challenge
page 66
22.92% "So far Berg's writing has been simple, with lovely bits of elegance and charm woven throughout the story. Very impressed. The seemingly effortless writing makes reading a breeze."
page 110
page 111
38.54% "Charming and even funny at times. You can't help but love the characters and simple style."
January 5, 2015 –