Joseph Copeli's Reviews > Happy Hour Is for Amateurs: A Lost Decade in the World's Worst Profession

Happy Hour Is for Amateurs by The Philadelphia Lawyer

M 50x66
Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: arc
Read in May, 2007

[This review also appears on FingerFlow.com, a site for review and discussion of creative works.]

While this book might arouse interest for the first few chapters, the entertainment value drops off quickly. How many times can the same tweaked story be retold? How many times can one guy relive the same premise with minor alterations in the details? Here's the gist of the book: the narrator gets drunk/high, gets into a situation, then gets out of said situation, sometimes with wit (but usually through dumb luck). Rinse, repeat. Also, throw in a few easy women, and one friend with an alcohol/rage/drug problem whose name keeps changing for some odd reason...

The Philadelphia Lawyer is the kind of guy that rubs me the wrong way. He's proud of getting through college drunk, squeaking through law school and getting high to escape the boredom of legal work. Boo hoo. And to top it off, he thinks he's better and smarter than nearly every person he meets!

However, this book is not without merit. It gives what appears to be an honest and intimate look into the legal profession. It's a corrupt system, like many other systems in our society, and I wouldn't be surprised if it scared off some law students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Hour Is for Amateurs.

message 1: by George (last edited Aug 11, 2010 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

George Being myself a future law school student I picked up this book thinking it would be a fun, good read on different perspective of the field of law. I agree greatly with your review. At first yes it did scare me but then I realized something. This person is someone who hides behind an alternate persona, who was heavily involved in drinking and drug use amongst other vices. I am a very different personality and don't think he was very suited for the field of law. He is a person whose lifestyle I don't agree with what so ever, his opinion and insights don't hold much value.