Aaron Vincent's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: dystocalypse

Perhaps the most brutal and goriest YA dystopia novel I ever read. It's bloodfest almost every chapter. The novel is jam-packed with things that makes peace-loving bitches wince. Zombie attacks, strong language[There is a line from a character that shocked the hell out of me: "I didn't like him. He's getting on my tits!". Fuck Yeah Awesomeness!] cannibalism, and gladiator, everything. It's bloody, dark, violent and best of all, it's pure fun. Definitely not for the faint heart and sensitive stomach[especially the self-righteous douchebags:].

Charlie Higson is a damn brave author. He's nonchalant about killing his characters left and right. He doesn't care if its a major or a minor one. He's a psychopath. He will let you get attached to the character first, then he will kill it. He's like "You're liking this character, eh? What you would feel if I do this", then he'll kill that character in a brutal way. Pure wickedness. No one is safe.

I highly recommend this to those who loves Michael Grant's GONE novels. Both book shares the same elements such as big casts, in-your-face non-stop actions, kids going against each other, alternating perspectives, fast pacings etc. It's fun literature at its best.

It will leave you exhausted but it will also leave you zombie-hungry for more. I'm effin ready for more bloodfest and in-your-face violence. The Dead, bring it on!

I dare you to read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.

August 5, 2010 – Started Reading
August 5, 2010 – Shelved
August 9, 2010 – Finished Reading
April 3, 2012 – Shelved as: dystocalypse

message 1: by Ace (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ace Nice review. I'm going to read this...

Tina AAAAND adding this to my wish list now! :)

Ariel Acupan One word: GORY! Like it.

message 4: by Amma (new) - added it

Amma Nice, I was dying to read it but you compared it to GONE (uh-mazing series) and it's at the top of my top-read-pile. Nothing like blood-bath-child-cast-killing...!

message 5: by Keara (new) - added it

Keara I WANNA READ THIS SSSOOOO BAD!! blood and gore? BRING IT ON

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book when I was 11 :D I don't remember a whole lot about it though, should reread it

message 7: by The (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Bomber Spot on awesome book

Rachel Simson Good Review :)
Im Just about to start reading this.
I love the Gone series so hopefully this will be good too!
I expect all the character killing will have me screaming at the book lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

message 10: by C.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.J. Mugleston Hi. I'm trying to create a place where readers that crave story and dislike love triangles can find books. Check us out. https://m.facebook.com/wellwrittenYA

message 11: by C.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.J. Mugleston Awesome review, Aaron! I just might send you a request. Those with a similar taste for blood should stick together, right?

message 12: by Kitty (new) - added it

Kitty Wallace Is this book just about boys like the Maze Runner or are there girls?

message 13: by C.J. (last edited Jan 14, 2017 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.J. Mugleston Kitty wrote: "Is this book just about boys like the Maze Runner or are there girls?"

There are plenty of female characters. It's about the children of london being affected by this disease.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie Arnholt Amazing book. Finished in 6 hours!

Carol. Angie wrote: "Amazing book. Finished in 6 hours!"

That's because it had lots of biiiiiiig words.