Buda's Reviews > Strawberries for Dessert

Strawberries for Dessert by Marie Sexton

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

Okay, I admit it. I didn't care for Cole in Promises or The Letter Z. And I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find any redeeming quality about him in his own story. But I was wrong. Very wrong. It may have helped that this was told mainly from Jonathan's POV, but I grew to care about both of them. Neither is going to replace that big angry cop in my heart, but they now have their very own space there. I do hope they show up in the Paris adventures of the other four.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strawberries for Dessert.

Quotes Buda Liked

Marie Sexton
“I understand addiction now. I never did before, you know. How could a man (or a woman) do something so self-destructive, knowing that they’re hurting not only themselves, but the people they love? It seemed that it would be so incredibly easy for them to just not take that next drink. Just stop. It’s so simple, really. But as so often happens with me, my arrogance kept me from seeing the truth of the matter.
I see it now though.
Every day, I tell myself it will be the last. Every night, as I’m falling asleep in his bed, I tell myself that tomorrow I’ll book a flight to Paris, or Hawaii, or maybe New York. It doesn’t matter where I go, as long as it’s not here. I need to get away from Phoenix—away from him—before this goes even one step further.
And then he touches me again, and my convictions disappear like smoke in the wind.
This cannot end well. That’s the crux of the matter, Sweets. I’ve been down this road before—you know I have—and there’s only heartache at the end. There’s no happy ending waiting for me like there was for you and Matt. If I stay here with him, I will become restless and angry. It’s happening already, and I cannot stop it. I’m becoming bitter and terribly resentful. Before long, I will be intolerable, and eventually, he’ll leave me. But if I do what I have to do, what my very nature compels me to do, and move on, the end is no better. One way or another, he’ll be gone. Is it not wiser to end it now, Sweets, before it gets to that point? Is it not better to accept that this happiness I have is destined to self-destruct?
Tomorrow I will leave. Tomorrow I will stop delaying the inevitable. Tomorrow I will quit lying to myself, and to him.
Tomorrow.
What about today, you ask? Today it’s already too late. He’ll be home soon, and I have dinner on the stove, and wine chilling in the fridge. And he will smile at me when he comes through the door, and I will pretend like this fragile, dangerous thing we have created between us can last forever.
Just one last time, Sweets. Just one last fix. That’s all I need.
And that is why I now understand addiction.”
Marie Sexton, Strawberries for Dessert

Michael "Okay, I admit it. I didn't care for Cole in Promises or The Letter Z"

Amazing...I had the same reaction. I also was not a fan of Cole, but this book changed that.

Buda Thanks, Michael. I appreciate the comment. :) I'm glad you had the same reaction!

Aves Raggiana "That big angry cop"...You must be talking about "Matt", Jared's formerly straight lover in the "Promises" and "A to Z". I have a thing for Matt as well, by far my favourite of all Marie Sexton's characters. As an aside, there's another "Matt" I've totally fallen in love with, Matt Haight, in Tere Michael's "Faith and Fidelity" and "Duty and Devotion". He too was a cop. Hmmm.....even someone as dim as myself would see a pattern here.

Buda Aves, you and I have the same taste in men apparently! lol I love both Matts.

Aves Raggiana Oh, my heart goes out to you, Rob. It's a vexing affliction, isn't it, to be in love with men like our Matts? First, very few of their ilk actually exist; second, the ones that do are already happily taken; third, they're psychopathic or are in some way encumbered with some condition that makes them wholly inappropriate as relationship material.

This doesn't even begin to speak to my own conflicted nature when it comes to men. I don't prefer "gay men", so much as "Men who happen to be Gay". In my mind, there is a difference. For as long as I keep choosing the way I do, I'm destined to remain terminally single and live my love life vicariously through the "Matts" of m/m romance novels.

I think I've told you far more about me than you ever cared to know.

Cheers,