Ellen Maze's Reviews > The Definitive Book of Body Language

The Definitive Book of Body Language by Allan Pease

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: read-for-research-value
Recommended for: People Watchers

As an author, I am naturally a student of observation, so this book had the potential to be of great service to me not only in my writing, but in character-building and expression.

I enjoyed the read. Unlike some other Body Language books, this one has a lot of photographs, and at the risk of sounding sophomoric, they really added to my understanding of the text.

The chapters/categories made a lot of sense, and the information moved along with little unnecessary repetition. I think everyone who reads this book will have their eyes opened, and begin to read body language everywhere they go.

The only thing that bugged me was that the authors used evolution to explain much of the human's use of body language. I didn't find their theories believable, and evolution explanations really weren't necessary. I would expect some reference to the ape-man, Neanderthal, etc, but these authors referred to them with a fervor akin to proselytizing. This shortcoming is the only thing that held me back from leaving 5-stars. Skimming those sections was easy, and the book is well worth the read and the purchase price.

Ellen C Maze
Author of Curiously Spiritual Vampire Tales

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Definitive Book of Body Language.

June 5, 2010 – Started Reading
August 5, 2010 – Shelved
August 5, 2010 – Shelved as: read-for-research-value
August 5, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Sold! (As in, you've convinced me to want to read this book)

Manjoorahmed May be