AtenRa's Reviews > Clarity

Clarity by Kim Harrington

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: ya-fiction, crime, mystery, hints-of-paranormal
Read from February 19 to 21, 2011

Main character Clarity(Clare) is a psychic, her brother a medium and her mother a telepath. They own a small "business" where they do readings for tourists. But when a girl is found murdered, Clare must put her powers to the test and catch the murderer.

I loved Clarity so so much!! Harrington's writing is amazing, smart and to the the point. The mystery part of the story is very good, although I must admit I kept anticipating for it to be royally screwed up, but thankfully it wasn't. Maybe you don't get the heart-stopping revelation at the end, suspects after all are few as this is a small town, but that doesn't mean you won't be surprised. Harrington will keep you at the edge of your seat until the very end, no doubt about it!

Clare is someone you like right from the start, from the very first sentence. She is clever, with a great sense of humor, loving and caring, even to the people who hurt her in the past.
Her mother and brother are also very likeable. You can't imagine my relief when I realized that her mother is not a controlling know-it-all, who doesn't tell her daughter anything for fear of "hurting her" and that her brother is not an over-protective jerk. They are normal people, a normal family. Well, except for their psychic abilities. But that's all the paranormal you'll get in Clarity. What I mean is, there is no unnecessary drama and hysteria going on,which let's face it, gets a little old after a while. They just live their lives like every other person.

Which means of course, that Clare, being a normal teenager, falls in love with the new guy in town, whom she investigates the murder with.
However, she is trying really hard to get over things that hurt her in the past, along with her ex boyfriend that caused them. Is she willing to take that step forward and start trusting someone new, or does she decide life is too short to hold grudges?

Once in a while, a book comes screaming right at me not to lose my faith in YA.That not all YA books are all glamour and sparkle on the outside and absolutely nothing on the inside. Turns out Clarity, is one of those books.Loved it :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clarity.