Jan C's Reviews > The Song of the Lark

The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather

Aug 04, 2010

bookshelves: gr-group-read, lit, 2014
Read from August 04, 2010 to December 15, 2014

Other than the occasional short story, I'd never read any Willa Cather. At times it really seemed to drag. But at other times it was almost poetic. In its description of the prairie, traveling on the train, being under the stars at night, Chicago and how refuge from the hustle and bustle may be sought at the Art Institute (I need another visit there, haven't been since year's Impressionist show [or was that two years ago?]).

I did get a kick out of the discussions about preachers and their families. Always the question of what people will say about them, and especially their children. I guess once a preacher's kid always a preacher's kid.

So I really liked the beginning. But there was a section in the middle that just really dragged. I guess when Thea was trying to find herself and her way in the musical world. But then she went to Chicago. Unfortunately she also went back to the prairie.

But then we see her after she has begun to make a name for herself and some old friends come to see her perform. Her old doctor worries that she may not feel the same towards him. Maybe she wants to leave everything from her old life beyond. I found it very poignant.

And ultimately I did enjoy the book, despite some earlier misgivings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of the Lark.

08/06/2010
08/10/2010
41.0% "And I can't believe I am reading about the Art Institute!"
12/15/2014 marked as: read