Mrs Mac McKenzie's Reviews > If This Is a Man / The Truce

If This Is a Man / The Truce by Primo Levi

I picked this book from the shelves after a friend suggest I read it. It is a compelling and sobering read about the German concentration camp of Auschwitz during world war 2 and how the author survived not only this, but the long and tortuous journey home after the war. The sheer number of displaced personas after the war and how they were taken care of is in itself a revelation for those of us who have no clue about these times.

What struck me about the book was the spirit of impartiality throughout the book. There is no emotion (not even anger or hatred), but we feel the humanity as the events and people are described throughout. It is a document not so much about the atrocities, but about the human element of the situation. It is an impartial narrative about what happened, who did what and what the consequences were. Throughout it, man's instinct for survival continues to bubble to the surface.

Do read it, for not only do you understand more about these terrible events, but you will find more gratitude, priority and humility in your own life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If This Is a Man / The Truce.

January 2, 2015 – Shelved