Tabitha's Reviews > Good in Bed

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Jan 03, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, adult-fiction

Sometimes a person needs a light read. A fun read. A pick it up and put it down (finished in a day) read. This book is all of these things, but it also carries an important message in an accessible format. We meet many people in our lives and love many be eternal or fleeting. Regardless of the time that love is shared, or held on to, the depth, the intensity, the interwoven sense of purpose can vary. We may not always love the person that we love now. We may not always remain with the person that we love and yet we may love them forever.

I, personally, love many people. I love them in different ways. I love them to different depths. I'm the type that always loves. If I love you today, I will love you tomorrow. There is nothing that you can do to stop that love. I may not like you if you hurt other or myself, but love and like are not the same thing. Like can change; love remains. Needless to type, I do not throw the word Love around lightly.

I do not tell my husband that I love him every time that we part: in person, on the phone, into slumber land. I tell him that I love him when I am consciously aware of how present that love is, when I am embraced and caught up in it, when I am fully in that moment. This can occur when I see him act kindly in a moment when I may not, when I remember something that he has said that I may not have appreciated fully at the time, when I hear about another relationship, another partner, that purposely does something hurtful and realize that Jim is such a good person, when I remember past relationship, past hurts and know that he is kind. Sometimes this can happen simply because he squeaks when he laughs or because his dark lashes frame his clear blue eyes in a certain light. There is a depth to that love. Intensity. A texture. Love goes beyond people, for me anyway, and encompasses ideas. Sometimes, I have learned, that people are mere reflections (positive or negative) of the ideals that what frame them within. Sometimes they are not the people that we imagine them to be – fairly or unfairly.

This story reminds me that there are different kinds of love and that time and changes in relationship status do not diminish it. I loved some that came before JIM. I still love some that hurt me badly – badly, but this is a different kind of love than what I share with my incredible husband (who does leave balls of socks all over the house and wonders why the dogs eat them). I told him last night that there is nothing in the world that I would trade for him and there is nothing, nothing that could ever compare to him, but this incredible love does not remove the past loves (the past-current loves) and that is what I liked most about this book.

This book shares the story of a "larger woman" and her search for love from herself, from partners, from day-in-day-out-family, from her father (post painfully reminiscent of my own life), from her dog, and from society. She struggles, she shares humor and rage. She shares hope and she embraces – she embraces.

Memorable passage (and words to live by): "I will love myself, and my body, for what it can do-- because it is strong enough to lift, to walk, to ride a bicycle up a hill, to embrace the people that I love and hold them fully, and to nurture a new life. I will love myself because I am sturdy. Because I did not--will not--break." (p365)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good in Bed.

message 1: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina Beautiful. If I wasn't sure about reading this book before, I'm positive now.

Thank you.

message 2: by Mara (new)

Mara Tabitha, wow..what an incredible review..as I was reading it, reminded me so much of a couple friends I have they luv in same manner you describe... Thanks for sharing ..

message 3: by Seany (new)

Seany shut up

message 4: by Braxton (new)

Braxton Worthy Awesome review Tabitha!!

message 5: by Rahul (new)

Rahul A good book to read and follow @ http://www.bookchums.com/ebooks.php

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi excellent review !!
you should be a writer or something :))

message 7: by Macey (new) - added it

Macey Such a lovely and heartfelt review–the author would be proud to know that she has a reviewer/lover of her book that was able to draw so much from her novel

Sarah Stevens Wonderful review! I am reading it now and loving it. I especially enjoy the funny things Canny says

message 9: by Boris (new)

Boris Chu Excellent review! Now, where can I find a book written by you?

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Kaplan What Boris said.

message 11: by Shane (new) - added it

Shane Well i love how diff ppl have siff views of love, i love every breath my wife takes and i tell her i love her everyday because i love her all the time. Theres no special moment in the day or week wen i love her the most i love her all the time. She tells me i stink, she tells me shave my beard you look like a bum, she tells me dont come to bed unless u shower, she tells me to start eating more i look like shit, scrub my face your dead skin makes you look old, she tells me to stop eating like a pig, we have nothing to hide from each other and our love is not fake or plastic, we tell each other what we think and there is problem with that. We dont get around pretending like days of pur lifes we say it as it is and we still love each other. All the experts out there judging me I AM LISTENING, but anyone that has been with there love of there life for less than 19 years dont comment. Until you have passed our 19 year no break ups relation love best buddys time frame then shut the F.§@…k up. Who do u think you are de phil. And please stop going on with your pathetic attempt that she is fucking someone else coz shes not ok. U believe your own bullshit half the time. I told her about my sexuality, hell, shes helped push toys into tight places for me so give it up. Post on internet and i will sue the fuk out of avira apple and all of you. One leak on my judgement panel
Will come out, it will with private investigator and it might be 5 , 10 years and wen it does taunts will be outdabted. I have spoken to a barister and he is 100% behind me after what you lot have put me through, kill me and you kill plenty more trust me on that ive had enough and i have plenty of mates that work in mines and have accidently put alot of spare plastic boots on After work by accident that would be much to big for the marsh mellow man on ghost busters. Now dont sit there a judge me have a look at your behaviour its appauling. And my friend Ash burning plays footy down your way and can kick some massive explosive goals from 80 meters out really big kick he is. Now stop being so bloody hypocrytical and please move on with your life. Thats if u have one. I hope you can here the little examples in the back ground just then they are not a joke.

message 12: by Shane (new) - added it

Shane And shes not large at all shes perfect