Meagan's Reviews > The Fire Seekers

The Fire Seekers by Richard Farr

it was ok
bookshelves: started-but-didn-t-finish, netgalley-or-arc

Books that this book reminds me of: Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series, Percy Jackson (Daniel is dyslexic AND our hero) who is also surrounded by strong females, the 39 clues (without all the intrigue and fun)

TV shows that remind me of this book: The Bletchley Circle (Iona was my favorite character and she's a lot like the main character in season 1), Bones (I mean look at this cast of characters), Masterchef Junior (he can cook like nobody's business, apparently)

Why of why then, did I NOT like it?

It all comes down to fiction writing basics 101. Make your protagonist believable, if not believable at least likable, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THE NARRATOR of the story! Daniel's narration is fairly stilted. He comes off as lacking, so we can like him for his faults, then in a sentence becomes an expert at so many things. He didn't have enough faults other than the fact that he was a child of geniuses who wasn't really a genius. His parents are rich, his friends are rich, he's good looking...etc etc. Usually when characters are built with this sort of background then they NEED their supporting characters to act as their foil or SOMETHING. Instead the only thing he doesn't seem to have is the same talent of being a "Babbler" i.e. a master of languages. Some of the flashbacks or recaps of others' findings and research in the story come off as convoluted and wordy. I think this was done in an effort to illustrate the person's intelligence, but it just served to confuse me. The only character this didn't happen with was Iona. Her messages came across loud and clear.

I wanted to like this book and this series because there are elements alive in it that I love--history, mystery, religion, and a little bit of the supernatural. Instead for reasons of storytelling it falls really short. It missed the intrigue that made the previously mentioned books so devour-worthy, re-readable, and make-me-want-to-go-out-on-release-day-and-purchase-it-worthy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Seekers.

January 2, 2015 – Started Reading