Hannah Ruthie's Reviews > Gideon's Torch

F 50x66
Aug 04, 2010

bookshelves: christian, fiction, political
Read from August 04 to 11, 2010 , read count: 1

I didn't have high hopes for this book, expecting (for some unknown reason) a rather corny version of a Tom Clancy. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover it instead to be an excellent novel that managed to avoid every pitfall I had imagined!

Gideon's Torch is a fictional political drama, focussed on the highest echalons of American politics and law - though inclusive of other characters, particularly the church leaders and members who are against abortion. The primary author is Charles Colson, who's pedigree is pretty impressive (see Wikipedia if, like me, you are a little young and non-American to know who he is). His indepth understanding of the reality comes across in well integrated storylines. However, he manages to avoid being too 'dry' and doesn't feel compelled to explain everything in long minute detail - a true art in my opinion.

The characters are considerately constructed and believable. The emotions of a wide-range of personalities are captured and vividly portrayed - on every side of the issues considered. The only strand that appears a little stretched is the raving president, who seems to have very little grasp on reality - but then again, I've never known any American Presidents! I would also like to think the public as a whole not to be quite so ignorant, but am probably being a little naive.

We follow a group of pro-lifers, who stand against the increasing level of abortion. Though standing for non-violence, elements of the group become disatisfied with their inability to impact on the government's plans for foetal research. We see their plans through both their eyes, and the consequences through the US government individuals.

The morals in this book are outstanding, and there are some great sections showing how without Absolute Truth, the law becomes a variable with no true meaning. Yet this is accomplished by the usual preaching.

I would be more than happy to recommend this book. It would be very welcome to Christians, but can easily be read by anyone of any background (though those with very liberal values may find its conclusions offensive, even though their beliefs are well-portrayed). I would definitely pick up another of his fiction books, and would also be intrigued to read autobiographical or non-fiction works of his.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon's Torch.

message 1: by Therese (new)

Therese I did not realize that he had started to write fiction. I followed his devotion for a year - How now shall we live? It is brilliant and uses examples of how culture changes worldview and the agendas behind it. He also has a Lifeway course with the same name which is a thinking persons understanding on evolution and how Christians can have confidence in what the Bible teaches.