Liralen's Reviews > Summer Scandal

Summer Scandal by Marilyn Kaye

Jan 02, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: z-2015, fiction, hear-me-roar, peace-out, ya, reviewed

It's 1964, and the times, they are a changing. The Gloss interns are all back in New York -- Sherry and Donna are still at Gloss; Allison is nannying for the summer; Pamela is restless and eager for a faster pace -- but their attitudes have changed. Allison is no longer quite the rebel she was, having found a comfortable fit for herself at Radcliffe...but Sherry's more eager than ever to question her upbringing and her parents' views. Donna's finally coming into her own, but her past still haunts her. Pamela...well, Pamela's still Pamela, but her priorities are shifting.

The book, too, gets more serious -- although simultaneously heavier on the romance. Sherry in particular jumps (feet-first, but with an open mind) into race-rights activism. She's come a long way from the southern belle of the first book.

As usual, I wish less time had been devoted to romance (but oh, poor Donna -- her past is going to keep after her for a while, isn't it?), but again, it didn't feel like an overbearing focus. Not sure if there are more books to come after this one (or if I'd be able to get my hands on them), but I was really pleasantly pleased by these first two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Scandal.

Finished Reading