Mike's Reviews > Planetary, Volume 4: Spacetime Archaeology

Planetary, Volume 4 by Warren Ellis

Aug 03, 2010

bookshelves: owned-and-read, creator-owned
Read from January 16 to 21, 2012

Well that was pretty much fantastic. Ellis weaves a tale (among the four books/27 issues) as intricate and well thought out as any I've seen. Loose plot threads get picked up, great characters grow and show us where their quirks have been coming from, and there are still a few surprises along the way.

Ellis sneaks in an incredible amount of layered thinking about physics, time travel, the limits and purpose of human achievement and some honest-to-dog philosophy. My mind is still reeling trying to take it all in and synthesise it into my own reality, and I'm blown away how effortlessly the characters just accept and build upon this mind-blowing way of re-looking at the world.

Cassaday & Wright's art is just fabulous - detailed, nuanced and conveys just enough option to draw the reader in (rather than keeping them at arm's length).

I'm really pleased that Fraction & DeConnick convinced me to finally pull this series off my shelf and read it. It's a real work of genius and art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetary, Volume 4.

09/07/2016 marked as: read