Melanie's Reviews > A Letter of Mary

A Letter of Mary by Laurie R. King

Jan 02, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: in-high-school, mystery, sherlock-holmes, read-again, fiction

Book three begins to drag, somewhat. Obviously written before the Da Vinci Code craze--I can't see many authors trying to pull off a mystery centered around a lost scripture featuring Mary Magdalene as apostle after all that. It's old hat now. I also think it's here that, on re-reading, I first began to sense that Russell's theology studies at Oxford are terribly broad and ambiguous, and never seem to tinge her take on the world except in the most abstract sense--that is, of course, until an unavoidably "religious" case is thrust upon her. And even then she lacks a certain--instinct? Naturalness? It's up for grabs whether or not this is deliberate on the part of the author (who did, in book two, go to pains to purposely demonstrate in Russell's confrontations with Margery Childe that one of Russell's faults is to be stiffly mechanical in her dealings with faith), or a reflection of how Laurie R. King herself wants Mary to have the exotic flair of a theologian-sleuth, but falters, for whatever reason, in trying to form it as an organic part of Russell's character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Letter of Mary.