Andrew Backs's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Aug 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, young-adult-titles

The second installment of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians is another solid effort from author Rick Riordan. Most of the characters from the first title are brought back for this one, with the inclusion of a few new faces.

Gone for most of the story are Grover and Chiron, but Tyson, an orphaned cyclops is introduced to the series. While this book is a fun read, there is not a lot of change to the format of the first title. The characters are given a quest, they accept the quest, and then they try to accomplish it. The ending does leave quite the cliffhanger, but this book lacks a little depth because the story seems to be reissued from the first.

This being the biggest problem that I had with the book, I still really enjoyed it. Percy's character really starts to come into his own as he gets older and more mature. I also like the development of the relationship between Percy and Annabeth as a strong male and female duo. There seems to be a loving relationship between them, but it has more of a best friend feel rather than romantic.

The twist at the end really renewed my interest in the series. Yes there were a few unresolved problems to carry over into future sequels, but they were not really motivating me to rush out and continue reading this series. The final chapter though really adds intrigue to this story and the future of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

August 3, 2010 – Started Reading