Cindy's Reviews > The A.B.C. Murders

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

Aug 03, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010 — I own a copy

This is probably not the best Hercule Poirot mystery Christie wrote, but it’s the first one I’ve read, and I quite enjoyed it. In this story, a murderer sends letters to Poirot signed A.B.C., and then on the dates mentioned at the town mentioned, a murderer takes place of a person with the same last name initial as of that of the town’s first letter, all proceeding in alphabetical order -- from Andover to Bexhill to Churston…The murderer leaves an A.B.C. railway guide at the scene of each crime.

Christie plays with the perspectives in this story, which makes it more exciting, and which I think lends itself well to visualizing the story as a movie. Poirot is wonderfully characterized, as is the first-person narrator Captain Hastings. The writing is Agatha Christie-good -- simple, but still suspenseful, so as to add flavour without detracting from the crime and the mystery.

Parts of the plot go a bit too slow (not too bad though, since we have the company of Poirot), but there is a very unexpected ending, which may be either a plus or a minus for the reader. The solution is intricate, and so some readers may find it too clever, but it also adds to the story with the element of a more Holmes-typical “howdunit”, not just the whodunit.

A generally enjoyable and fast read, but probably not the one you’d give to someone to turn them into an Agatha Christie reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The A.B.C. Murders.