Tintin's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Aug 03, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from October 15 to November 04, 2010 — I own a copy

*edit*: I've been thinking about this book the past weeks since and now I'm convinced the book deserves a full 5 stars so I'm changing my rating from 4 to 5 :)

It's official: Terry Pratchett is my new favorite author.

The heroine is likable and believable, despite being much too smart and perceptive for her 9 years. The Nac Mac Feegle are absolutely hilarious: they're my favorite part of the book. I like reading aloud their(Scottish-inspired?) speech, even if I'm probably getting the accent wrong, because it's so lively and Nac Mac Feegle-y.

I love the humor, and I love how everything ties up neatly and cohesively. Pratchett is a master storyteller. I like how he weaves memories of Granny Aching with that of the process of Tiffanny's growth throughout the book, without disrupting the storyline. Pratchett has a way of creating something extraordinary from the ordinary, for Tiffany is a but a regular farm girl. Her entry into witchcraft is believable and hard-won. Certainly, I like it better than a letter from Hogwarts.

Many different perceptives and the ideas are presented in the book. The Nac Mac Feegle's view that they were already dead and in heaven, harmful stereotypes of 'witches,' what it really means to study and be a witch, family ties, who you really are, and many others. There were a number of memorable moments, such as the drone who was happy and contented in Tiffanny's dream, and Tiffanny who didn't want to turn around because she was afraid it wouldn't be Granny Aching there.

What's so surprising about it is that though it's a fairytale at heart, it manages to weave so many thoughtful and heartfelt messages without losing its wit and charm. The book progressed at a steady pace and I didn't even have time to be bored.

I'm having a difficult time giving this book 4 stars instead of 5 because I like it so much, but the main 'battle' in the dreamworld of the Queen didn't interest me too much. The only thing I really like about it are the drones.

I wish this book will become a movie. And I'm looking forward to reading the sequels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.