Amin Delshad's Reviews > Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America

Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas

Aug 03, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: joy-ride, nonfiction

a funny memoir, despite its utter honesty I assume the manner of white lies is used. this 'Anne of the fables' is caught in the hands of an Iranian family who insist on their cheap peasant like behavior even after such long time of living in US. in fact it's not only the contrast between American and Iranian life, but also the contrast between any free or/and modern thinker with ordinary Iranian mind and tradition.
I recommend it to Iranians, but I see no effect in reading it, as she knows there is no way out of this net but the only solution she ever used in her life and that was not telling his vote to his father. in fact she sees retreat as the only defense in this unjust struggle.
as a book, only its first few chapters are of a high quality, the more you read through, the less you enjoy it. reading of her next book is besides the point!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Funny in Farsi.

August 3, 2010 – Started Reading
March 15, 2015 – Shelved as: joy-ride
March 15, 2015 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kiana I don't she'll say her life/story is an unjust struggle at all... she's not struggling, she's enjoying this life, as all should enjoy such diversity.