Jim's Reviews > Ursule Mirouët

Ursule Mirouët by Honoré de Balzac

Aug 02, 2010

bookshelves: balzac
Read from August 02 to 16, 2010

** spoiler alert ** In several of my Balzac reviews, I have noted the presence of a cabal that strives out of greed and envy to bankrupt the hero or heroine and enrich themselves at their expense. In most of the novels, the hero or heroine is totally undone. This, for example, is the case in Cousin Pons, the three novels making up Lost Illusions, Cousin Bette, and The Black Sheep.

In Ursule Mirouet, however, Honoré de Balzac takes a different tack altogether. In this sole case, the eponymous heroine ends up happy; and the guilty parties either confess and reform (in the case of Goupil), or they come to bad ends (as in Minoret-Levrault, his wife and son).

Balzac has always entertained a love for the bizarre. One finds it in Louis Lambert, The Centenarian (written under the pseudonym Horace de Saint-Aubin), and The Wild Ass's Skin, and one finds it here. There are chapters of Swedenborgian prophecies that turn out to be true; and their are vivid dreams in which the dead Dr Minoret explains how his nephew Minoret-Levrault looted his god-daughter Ursule's legacy. Even if it is by supernatural means, I was happy for once to see things turn out differently.

After a few excursions with Balzac in the provinces of France, I, for one, would hesitate to take up residence there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ursule Mirouët.

08/02/2010 page 62