Emily's Reviews > Bloodthirsty

Bloodthirsty by Marshall Karp

Aug 02, 2010

bookshelves: keeper-shelf, reviewed-books

This is the follow up to The Rabbit Factory and definitely does not disappoint. The wisecracking, authentic humor that I loved about the first book is present throughout the story, and the murders, while gruesome, are of a much more personal nature in this book. The ending will have you thinking about what side of the debate you come down on, which is, for me, an interesting addition to the story.

By all accounts, Barry Gerber is a douchebag of epic proportions. He's also a Hollywood powerhouse with the Midas touch, so when his exsanguinated body shows up in a trash can, no expense is spared in the hunt for his killer. This is bad new for Detectives Lomax and Biggs on a whole bunch of levels, as not only do they now have to devote all their time and energy to avenging a guy that nobody was sorry to see go, but the person who was going to turn their adventures with Lamar Studios from the last book into a media sensation is now toes up at the morgue. Sometimes you're the pigeon, and sometimes you're the statue.

When the notorious actor/man whore who was also the controversial star of Mr. Gerber's last movie and with whom Mr. Gerber had a fairly epic falling out is also found dead in the same manner, not only is the list of suspects reduced to nobody, but it becomes clear that the killer has a very specific agenda in mind and that the motive is probably more personal than anyone had previously anticipated. The seedier side of the Hollywood flash is eviscerated here, and the lesson that one person's actions can have dire consequences for others is clear.

In terms of solving the mystery, though, this book is set up a little differently from the first one, in that we know from the beginning who the murderers are (all of them, rather) and how they're connected to the victims and what their motivations are, and we get all that information well before Lomax and Biggs do. This means that there were a bunch of times that I was thinking "no no no, that's not right!" when they would be sidetracked by a red herring or some other issue, and it kept me engaged from the start of the book to the end.

With cold weather right around the corner, you can't go wrong picking up these books to hunker down and wait out a day of wintry slop outside. This book and a cup of cocoa will make a rainy or snowy day pass very quickly indeed.

Overall Grade: A+

Read more reviews and other good stuff at What Book is That?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodthirsty.