Lizzie's Reviews > Fray

Aug 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, comics, meg-s, borrowed, fantasy-or-something
Read from August 02 to 08, 2010

Apparently we have had this book for like two years. Um thanks Meg! I will bring it back now.

I don't exactly see what's not to like here. It's a good fight and it's good canon. And it's rather funny. I guess I'm kicking off an extra star mostly because the atmospheric elements just aren't my favorites. If it weren't for the snappy Whedon dialogue it would feel just like dozens of other comics, and mostly I prefer comics that stand out. And here not a lot does. Lots of grubbiness. A few weird creatures. Tough-livin' heroine. Some good some bad. Not too much depth below the surface of the setting.

I guess one of the difficult things here is that Melaka is just pretty solitary -- and slayers do always feel solitary, but not to us, they don't. And so we've got a little bit of Mel, who mostly is just hardness, and a little bit of backstory, which is really just one sliver. And Joss is usually thorough in his concepts, but we don't know when or why this setting. Where'd this society come from? How's it work? The back cover says this is Manhattan, but really, says who? Where?

This unknown severed history does work ok with the idea that the slayers' line is starting again after a really long time of quiet. I like the idea that the way we expect it to work isn't really going to be how it works. And I could get behind the exploration of the unique idea of a slayer's twin, though this story was set up pretty black-and-white. Her little neighbor is cute. I kinda liked the fish.

It's a decent offshoot. I'm interested to see how she turns up in Season 8. I'm glad to have read this before I get there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fray.