Sylvia's Reviews > Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine

Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann

Aug 02, 2010

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads

Normally I don’t read sport books but the title and the cover picture captured my interest. It turned out that it doesn't matter what genre you usually read, this book appeals to everyone. George Dohrmann, a senior writer at Sports Illustrated, won a Pulitzer Prize in 2000 for a story uncovering a college basketball team’s academic fraud. He is an investigating reporter and excellent writer and as a result, this book really lets the reader get to know the harsh reality of “grassroots” basketball.

The fascinating story follows Demetrius Walker, a young boy recruited by coach Joe Keller when he was a 10-year-old kid. At first sight the life of a young basketball star on the way to becoming an NBA player seems to be enviable, but can he survive all that hype and exposure at such a young age?

For coach Joe Keller, Demetrius was an investment. His actions had a big impact on Demetrius. This book holds a valuable lesson for all ambitious young people, players, coaches, parents and teachers.

This book is special and even if you are not a basketball fan, I would encourage you to read this book.

Thank you for the opportunity to review this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Their Hearts Out.

Sylvia I did win! This book is heading my way – thanks so much! I am so excited and can't wait to read it.

Sylvia I finished reading the book and post my review shortly. Held me captive from prologue to last page.