Mrsgaskell's Reviews > Outlander

Aug 02, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 5-star, bookcrossing, british
Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I was curious about this popular series so when I saw a copy on the library discard table I thought it was a good opportunity to check it out. Unfortunately, I didn't care for it much, but the good news is that I don't have to read all the sequels.

The book opens in 1945 in Inverness, Scotland. Claire Randall and her husband Frank are enjoying a second honeymoon before he takes up his appointment as a university professor at Oxford. I enjoyed the first two chapters and thought this promised to be a quick fun read. But then Claire time-travelled to 1743 while investigating a smaller, Scottish version of Stonehenge and my interest began to flag. I’m not all that interested in that period of Scottish history and frankly this was more of a love story anyway. Claire meets Jamie Fraser, they are attracted to each other, and soon forced to marry to save her from the English, in particular Captain Jonathan Randall, an ancestor of her husband Frank. At 850 pages, the book was way too long, and it seemed to be the same things happening over and over again. There's a brawl, or a skirmish between the Highlanders and other Scots or the English, then Claire and Jamie have sex, then they talk about sex, then she picks herbs... and that pattern repeats itself. It was also quite brutal with beatings, floggings, attempted rapes... I was curious to see if Claire got back to 1945 and her first husband. Frank seemed much more interesting than Jamie, who seemed such a boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.