Shovelmonkey1's Reviews > Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Aug 02, 2010

bookshelves: 1001-books, read-in-2010, bookcrossing-books
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
Recommended for: people who like bright young things with vile bodies

Absolutely loved this, and am finding that despite my original half-arse preconceptions I have enjoyed a lot of books from this historical time period. Is this a sign I am developing discerning taste? Am I becoming more open minded? Doubtful, but I can only live in hope and keep on with the mind expanding forays into the more classic side literature. This will not stop me reading trashy smut as well but it means I look more high brow at least 50% of the time.

On the whole Brideshead Revisited is much better than Vile Bodies possibly because it got the fantastic subtitle of "The Sacred and Profane memories of Captain Charles Ryder" and lets face it, everyone likes a good bit of profanity. Following the trials and tribulations of the noble Marchmain family and their various hangers-on. There's a lot of references to religion in this and it lacks the bright and brittle spirit of some of his other work but maybe that just adds gravitas rather than detracting from it.

I liked it so much I am putting it into my permenant collection, rather than releasing it through bookcrossing.com which is a high mark of my esteem as normally I shunt books out the door as fast as possible in order to get more onto the shelves. Evelyn Waugh I salute you - you've got a space on the shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brideshead Revisited.

August 2, 2010 – Started Reading
August 2, 2010 – Shelved
August 2, 2010 –
page 3
August 4, 2010 –
page 107
30.48% "This reads like Enid Blyton for grown-ups, only the children are now spoiled, wealthy aristos with expensive tastes so instead of picnics with lashings of lemonade its a banquet with claret and plovers eggs. Er Mummy where are my plovers eggs?"
August 4, 2010 –