Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Storyteller

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: all-fiction, four-star-fiction, audio, world-war-two-fiction

So....holy crap wow! This does not read like a Jodi Picoult novel. I had given up on her a few novels ago when her stuff got too sappy for me. The only reason I chose this was because I was desperate for an audio book and this was in front of my face at the library.

I know there are many people who scoff at Picoult with her contrived plots and often didactic storytelling. If you're one of those people, I suggest giving this one a chance. It's different. I would have given it five stars if not for the fictional narrative written by one of the characters and interspersed throughout the main story. That aspect of the novel was distracting, sometimes confusing, and sometimes downright boring. Aside from that, this one blew me away. Brava, Jodi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller.

Started Reading
December 19, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jeffers Things I don't think I ever expected to see: a four-star review of a Jodi Picoult book from Jeanettte :)

message 2: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Glad it was good for you Jeanette!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Jessica wrote: "Things I don't think I ever expected to see: a four-star review of a Jodi Picoult book from Jeanettte :)"

Hee! I can be a bit of a snob, for sure, but I did go through a short Jodi Picoult phase which ended when her formula began to grate on me. She's pretty gutsy, I have to say that for her.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jeffers I've never actually read any of her books but literally everything I've read with a blurb from her on the cover has been terrible, so I just assume that she and I do not agree on what makes a good book.

She was one of those authors that I just never got around to before I saw the movie adaptation of "My Sister's Keeper," and that always kind of colored my opinion. I'm a snob.

Anne I borrowed this one just because of your recommendation ... And though parts of it were quite good, other parts with annoying and/or confusing. I'm referring not only to the fictional narrative written by Minka, but to Sage (whom I found to be self-absorbed and immature) and her straight-out-of-chick-lit love affair with Leo (whom I found to be self-absorbed and pompous). I've only read one other Picoult novel prior to this, but I'll not be reading more.