Carla *Jen7waters*'s Reviews > Shadowfell

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Before reading the book (I can't delete the little fellow, he got me a few likes)
September 11!!

After reading the book

I should probably start this review by saying I’m a HUGE Juliet Marillier fan (for those who don’t know this yet) -- she’s my favorite author, fantasy is my genre of choice, and every time I’m in possession of a new JM book it’s like Christmas, and it’s snowing outside while I’m inside the house by the fire, looking out the window, with a cup of cinnamon flavored hot chocolate warming my hands, a blanket over my legs, and I’m about to open the perfect gift, which by the way, would be a JM book.

That said, Shadowfell tells the story of Neryn’s journey across Alban, a land ruled by the tyrant Keldec -- at first she’s travelling with her father, who after doing something terrible to her, dies and leaves her all alone in the world; after this tragic event she decides to travel to a place in the north called Shadowfell, the alleged land of the rebels, where she believes she’ll be safe from the Enforcers, and from the king himself, because he could use her powers for his benefit. Yes, the girl has powers.

Naturally I loved this book from page one, and I loved especially how the story picks up rhythm in the first couple of pages and barely slows it down afterwards, there’s always something happening with or around Neryn, something that would make it impossible for me to put the book down.

AND THE MALE LEAD. Goodness! Juliet really knows how to write them. (Not sure why I sounded surprised just now.) His attitude towards Neryn melted my heart from the very first moment – his posture, his patience, the way the helps and takes care of her even when she’s doubting his motives. Awww. In fact he reminded me a bit of Red, which is always the best compliment I can give to a male character.

I also loved the secondary characters, mainly the Good Folk who follows Neryn on the journey, their knowledge is crucial for her mission, and they also help her survive along the way -- would give them all a big hug if I could; still my favorites were the Brollachan and the pookie -- the image of a giant using a cat-like creature as a ball he throws in the air is forever stuck in my brain, I’m sure it will be useful for when I’m feeling down. xD

*kind of spoiler ahead, not really if you know Neryn will be heroine of the whole series*
The end surprised me -- this is the first JM book that ends without the couple actually getting together (don’t even try to contradict me, I know what happened in Seer, they got together, Felix just needed to get some stuff done before), and all I can say is: MY HEART CAN’T TAKE IT! I need them together, I need it! But Neryn will still be the heroine in the second book, so I’m thinking, hoping, praying, they will have plenty of time to get together and leave my heart at peace. I know the wait will be worth it, I just know it.
*end of spoiler*

What else can I say? I honestly could go on and on about Shadowfell to the point of people reading this review eventually run away screaming, but I’ll stop right now because if I go on more spoilers will find its way out of me and I’d hate for that to happen.

Buy it, read it, let your minds rejoice in the excellence of Juliet Marillier’s writing--do yourselves the favor.

Am I right, or am I right, little dancing owls?
<- I believe this is a "The human is right, she's right!"

*PT* Cuidado com o Dálmata

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfell.

August 2, 2010 – Shelved
page 69
16.83% ""
September 27, 2012 –
page 189
46.1% "My brain while reading this book--> Photobucket"
September 28, 2012 –
page 265
September 29, 2012 –
page 416
100% "(*-*)"
September 29, 2012 –
page 416
100% "Dear Juliet, why must you hurt me this way\n Photobucket"
September 29, 2012 – Shelved as: favorite-heroines
September 29, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-read
September 29, 2012 – Shelved as: favorite-books
September 29, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: no-love-triangle

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Quigui Yay

Amaryllis Well, I'm sorry but, now, I want to win a copy too! xD

Carla *Jen7waters* @Amaryllis but of course! I actually have Shadowfell on pre-order from The Book Depository, but I couldn't help it, I saw the giveaway, it was available for my country so I HAD TO CLICK "ENTER TO WIN"! It was the natural thing to do..
So of course you had to enter too--good luck! :D

Ducha Ribeiro Não me digas que ganhasteo livro?

Carla *Jen7waters* Não, tinha-o encomendado, chegou ontem! :D

Ducha Ribeiro Costumas ter sorte e ganhar livros, por isso perguntei;)..Então, que te parece?.

Carla *Jen7waters* Awesome, como seria de esperar :D claro que me está a enervar, miúda sozinha na floresta #PÂNICO !!!

Ducha Ribeiro Eu ainda tenho alguns para ler..Mas quero tanto, mas tanto ler esse e o 2º de hunger games xD

Carla *Jen7waters* Vais comprá-los, ou queres que te empreste? Se quiseres que te empreste é só dizer!

Ducha Ribeiro Prefiro comprá-los para ficar com a cloeção xD..Obrigada..Quero que me emprestes da Julia Quinn e da Lisa Kleypas, pode ser?

Carla *Jen7waters* Claro que sim!

Quigui Finally,internet! Então, estás a gostar?

Monica Dias Lol, is that good or bad?

Carla *Jen7waters* @Marta o que é que achas?? A adorar claro, o Flint lembra-me o Red *cue tiny flying hearts*

@Dorian It's GOOD, VERY GOOD :D

Leonor (Ner) SOOO JEALOUS... Me want to read it too :( - é o que dá ter uma mãe que também é fã de Juliet mas não lê em Inglês :'(

Carla *Jen7waters* Já tinhas ensinado inglês à tua mãe Ner! Resolvias o problema :p

Leonor (Ner) Eu bem tento mas aquela mulher tem a cabeça dura xD LOL

Quigui Bem, se tiveres mesmo em pulgas para ler avisa, que eu levo o meu para LX, e combinamos para eu te emprestar.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) I loved this too. This was my first Marillier book. Which others of hers are your favourites/what should I try next?

Carla *Jen7waters* Lynsey, you HAVE to read the Sevenwaters series! My favorite book of all time is the first one, Daughter of the Forest. :')

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) Okay, I will, lol! And you said they all end in a HEA? That will be different from this one. Instant gratification- I like it!

message 22: by Carla *Jen7waters* (last edited Nov 05, 2012 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carla *Jen7waters* *grins*

Well, yes (sorry if that spoiled things for you a bit), Juliet's books always end up with a happy ending for the couple, but that happiness is often bittersweet, when you read something of hers that isn't YA you'll understand (I don't want to spoil you anymore), also she lets you know what happens to the couples as the series unfold, and believe me, there's a lot of heartbreak after the HEA---but it's all worth it, even the pain. I'm sure that if you liked this one you'll love everything else JM! :)

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) No, it's okay. It's good to know what I'm getting into. I wasn't at all disappointed that Shadowfell ended so openly, either, as I read many Urban Fantasy series that are the same way, but JM's long-time fans who were perhaps not expecting it may react differently....? Who knows. I hope not as it is still a great book and there's obviously lots more to come. It just makes you desperate for the next one! Flint was sooooooooo yummy. :)

Carla *Jen7waters* It was a bit of a shock, yes, but to be honest I suspected this one would be different since Shadowfell will be the first JM series with the same protagonist in all the 3 books--- Neryn and Flint will have time in the next ones to find each other, while all the other couples needed closure because their protagonism ends with their respective books.
Also, it would have been too soon for them to be together in Shadowfell, even if I wanted it to happen so damn much---I enjoyed the way their relationship progressed along the story (poor Flint tried, tried, tried and managed to earn her trust, yay!) and I'm sure things will get a lot more interesting in book 2. Juliet knows how to "torture" her readers.

I know! He is, he is. I love how he's so patient with her, LOVE IT. Patience is hot. :D~

message 25: by Lynsey (last edited Nov 06, 2012 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) I think I read those last 10 pages about 3 times, lol :)

Amaryllis The male lead reminds you of Red, really? *runs to buy the book*

Carla *Jen7waters* @Lynsey xD Yes, those last pages deserved rereading <3

@Amaryllis Yes! He reminds me of Red in the way he takes care of and protects the female lead, also because he's so patient and can't tell her that he likes her likes her. Poor Flint, I would so love to read his POV in certain scenes. :D

Amaryllis Romance in Juliet Marillier's books is always the best! They always leave a permanent impression on me. Each time I'm like "Woah. THIS is a tale about true love." And Red, what he did in the end of book 1? *sigh* What I'd do to read his POV in some scenes... I sooo get what you're saying.

Carla *Jen7waters* Agreed, no one beats Juliet on writing love stories -- her couples never leave your heart. *sigh*

Gaaah, tell me about it... Red's actions and speech at the end of DotF pretty much ruined all other attempts of love declarations for me. xD He's the one, the ultimate male character.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) Okay, now I really need to know who this guy is. But it sounds like he'll ruin me for all others... le sigh...

Amaryllis You know, I think ALL Juliet's male characters belong to the ultimate category. Lucky they don't love the same girl, because it'd be the end of the world. Lol, the point is they're all so fearless and selfless they can do anything for the one they love. And how sexy is that? :D

(sorry, I'm straying away from the topic xD)

message 32: by Carla *Jen7waters* (last edited Nov 06, 2012 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carla *Jen7waters* @Lynsey Do it!
Photobucket

@Amaryllis yes, they are all in a higher level, the best heros you'll ever find (handsome too), I can honestly sum up my literary crushes by pointing at my JM shelf :D~
Fearless, selfless, and they love their respective ladies like it's the last day on earth, give up whatever is necessary to be with them. *sigh*

(Please...Juliet's male leads are my favorite topic to discuss xD)

Leonor (Ner) Flint... Neryn... that ending!!!!
Como partilho a tua dor :'(

Carla *Jen7waters* É uma evil genius a master... deixar-nos penduradas assim... *sigh*

Não é um amor o Flint? :3 que alma torturada

Leonor (Ner) God... o meu coração não aguenta estas coisas :S Ficou despedaçado *sobs*

Oh my... Flint!!! Ele é simplesmente a coisinha mais fofa de todas. Queria abraça-lo, dar-lhe o meu ombro para ele chorar, qualquer coisa... *mentally hugs Flint tightly*

Leonor (Ner) *Ner goes through the comments and then sees this:*

Carla wrote: "Red's actions and speech at the end of DotF pretty much ruined all other attempts of love declarations for me. xD He's the one, the ultimate male character. "

Yes!!! Now you said it all!! Couldn't agree more with you ^_^

Carla *Jen7waters* Eu fiquei: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Photobucket

Mas foi fofinho o final <3

Leonor (Ner) Eu só respirei fundo quando a Neryn o alcança... eu só pensava "Não! Isto não pode acabar assim! Não pode!" :)

Carla wrote: "Ai, mal posso esperar por mais---e a Neryn é tão querida, adoro quando ela se põe a apreciar o Flint e ele apanha-a a olhar ahah xD "

Oh My God!!! É, literalmente, cuteness overloaded ^_^

message 39: by Carla *Jen7waters* (last edited Nov 13, 2012 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carla *Jen7waters* Leonor (Ner) wrote: "*Ner goes through the comments and then sees this:*

Yep, he basically ruined male charaters (and men in real life!) for me. No guy will ever be that perfect.

Abigail I thought I was the biggest JM fan out there,but now I'm glad to know there's more of us out there! I actually just bought Daughter of the Forest(my favorite) at a book sale for 50 cents! I told the ladies there that it felt like Christmas1 I really enjoyed seeing in your review how similar we are as bookworms and JM fans.

Happy reading, AJ.