Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Dec 31, 2014

bookshelves: best-2015

I've just read TWO Young Adult books in a row, both of which I highly enjoyed. That has to be some kind of miracle. I find most YA very predictable, overly dramatic, self-absorbed and trivial. THIS is not one of those books. This book is perfect. First of all, IT'S ABOUT A ROAD TRIP! Road trips, on paper and film, are awesome (not always in real life). But a road trip with a sorta-acquainted young adult guy and girl, both reeling from their own personal tragedies? A road trip that is in fact a detour from the beeline path planned by the mother? It is precious. It is peppered with play lists, scrapbook notes and pictures from along the way, receipts from handy marts and restaurants, and random drawings. Of course, we know that these two belong together ultimately, so yes, predictable, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. The nostalgia, the chemistry between the two, the healing and the journey...it is the most fun I've had reading a book in a LONG TIME. If you have the reading blahs, make this your next book. You will thank me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

December 31, 2014 – Started Reading