Kristin's Reviews > The War that Saved My Life

The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Feb 03, 2017

bookshelves: books-i-own

I really enjoyed this one. Maybe it's not the most original story, but I like stories about English children evacuated to the countryside. (Probably because of Narnia.) And I felt like with Ada having a clubfoot and her mother being abusive, there was a bit of a new twist on the basic story.

This book broke my heart a lot. First of all because Mam was so horrible. I can't wrap my mind around people treating anyone else in those ways, but especially your own children. And then there was the fact that her awfulness was still a presence when the kids left. I would feel myself getting frustrated with Ada for pulling away or resisting Susan's love, but then I had to remember that her feelings were probably very realistic (and I've never been in that situation so I don't know).

The book overall moves at a slow pace, so the ending feels rushed. So much action is crammed into the last 20 pages or so. But there's still a lot of emotion there and it made me tear up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War that Saved My Life.

December 31, 2014 – Shelved