Chris Friend's Reviews > Children of the Mind

Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

Jan 02, 2008

Recommended for: Ender fans; philosophic sci-fi fans
Read in January, 2008

Though a surprising percentage of this book consists of tedious expressions of characters' frustrations (such as Quara's incessant bitch-fests) or amazements (such as Jane's discoveries of her new-found senses). Many times throughout the book, I got bored of the endless unnecessary descriptions that really did nothing to move the plot forward or increase our understanding of the characters.

The events taking place in the book, for their part, were quite interesting and provided an effective and satisfying conclusion to things started in Xenocide. There was plenty to think about, plenty to guess about, and plenty to appreciate. I enjoyed this story more than any other sequel to Ender's Game.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Mind.

Jeremy I both agree with the latter portion of your review and disagree with the former. Quara is annoying and dislikable for the same reason all the characters in the story dislike her, that is sort of her purpose and I think it worked well. Also, I appreciated and enjoyed Janes descriptions of her feelings when she got into a body, I felt as if I was receiving a body for the first time and I think that greatly enhances a story when you can take a break from the constant progression to enjoy the details. Not to mention that this was a key point in the character Jane's development. I feel that this is one of the major differences between a novel written for children and one written for adults; children struggle to stay focused and therefore need constant progression whereas an adult can slow down and appreciate the details and instead use them to immerse themselves.