Lara's Reviews > Steel

Steel by Carrie Vaughn

Aug 01, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2011, e-books, fantasy, historical-fiction, young-adult, pirates, action-adventure, all-things-nautical
Read from June 29 to 30, 2011

Well, there were parts of this that I liked, but for the most part it just felt...I don't know. A little too dumbed down and silly maybe. The thing is, it's marketed as a young adult book, but kind of reads more like a middle grade book to me--very simplified sentence structure, weird magic-out-of-nowhere-time-travel plot, and a main character who just...doesn't really act her age. Jill never grew on me, and neither did anyone else in this book--there just wasn't any terribly deep character development.

Add to that my frustration with the sometimes sloppy writing (for example, at one point, Jill decides her best chance of getting out of the mess she's in is to assist the pirates by helping them fight and convinces Henry to practice fencing with her, so that she'll know how to fight for blood. And then like five pages later when they actually start to fight, she's all, "wait, omg, seriously, we really fight with swords?!?" like it's all a big surprise) and there just wasn't a whole lot for me to cling to in this shipwreck (ha-HA!).

I guess it's a fun book, if you want something super light and ridiculous with pirates in it, and you don't really care too much about realistic characters or situations. It just wasn't quite what I was expecting or wanting I suppose. Ah well...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel.

06/29
33.0% "Not loving this so far. At least it's short!"
03/21 marked as: read