Jim's Reviews > Neuroscience

Neuroscience by George J. Augustine

bookshelves: science, neuroscience-cognition-behavior

(updated 8/25/10)
Many medical schools, including the one where I teach, use this as the standard neuroscience-survey textbook for both medical and graduate students. It is generally well-written, highly authoritative, and very well-illustrated. There are 3 or 4 other textbooks that are used by some schools for the same purpose; in general, the others are much longer and somewhat more challenging to read.

I would recommend this book as a very good introduction to the field of neuroscience, with coverage of everything from single neurons and synaptic transmission, to brain systems (sensory, motor, limbic/emotional, cognitive), to a smattering of neurology and psychiatric disease.

It will be most useful for those who need or wish to have a working knowledge of brain structure and function, and their relationship to behavior, cognition, and disease. It is not light reading by any means, but it is probably the best combination of concise and comprehensive coverage in this field.

(8/25/10 update)
The book includes a password for the downloadable brain-tutoring program, Sylvius 4. This program can be very useful as an adjunct, visual aid to the book. We recommend it to medical and graduate students as another way to learn the material (we also provide a lot of visual aids through the proprietary Blackboard system). I tell students to look at every resource and decide what will work best for them – the goal is to get a sense of the 3-dimensional relationships of the brain structures. Many students (and instructors) use Sylvius 4 extensively, and it is certainly worth taking the time to check it out.

However, for most readers I would recommend the following visual aids for starters – these are more accessible in terms of content, and more user-friendly than Sylvius 4.

For a very useful, cool-graphics version of the human brain, I recommend the free iPhone/iPad app, 3D Brain, by the Dana Foundation and Cold Spring Harbor Lab. You can find it in the iTunes app store, or link to it from here:

Alternatively or in addition, I highly recommend the Cold Spring Harbor website on modern neuroscience, called Genes to Cognition. It includes an online version of 3D Brain, and a wealth of other information in a user-friendly format:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuroscience.

Finished Reading
August 1, 2010 – Shelved
August 9, 2010 – Shelved as: science
August 12, 2010 – Shelved as: neuroscience-cognition-behavior

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Thank you for liking my review.