Kathryn 's Reviews > Tyger Tyger

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Aug 01, 2010

bookshelves: first-in-a-serie, books-i-own, read-2011, young-adult-fiction

Rating Clarification 4.5

Aside from Knife which I have read about two months ago, this book had the most understandable and acceptable boy/girl relationship I've read this year. And it's half the reason why I gave this book .5 star in addition.

I've wanted to read this book ever since it came out last year and like it often happens, I have forgotten about it. Until I actually saw the 'paperback' version during my weekly visit to my favorite book store. I was so thrilled ! I had to buy the book then and there and within 24 hours, I was reading it.

It was all so very easy to love the book from the beginning.

The main character's name "Teagan", although a bit boyish, had me at first glance. (I loved it when her family and friends called her "Tea")
Her artistic yet care free mother, loving and supportive father, brilliant and a bit odd brother Aiden and her mother-like best friend Abby. I LOVED all these characters. They were so fitting as a family, and it was a testament to how Teagan was raised. And let's not forget her not-blood-related cousin Finn. (Teagan's mother was addopted)

(view spoiler)

The story itself is very imaginative and fascinating.
I've never read a story about goblins before.
And the fact that it's an Irish legend, just makes it that much more intriguing.

The author also has a keen sense of humor and ability to make the characters come to life. Because she actually made me want to read about all the other side characters as well. (which is not very often) Like Cindy the chimpanzee, Lennie; Aiden's "big" friend, and Mamieo; their grandmother.

Over all, it's a VERY promising first book in a series and I cannot wait to read to discover the secrets and the magical world that is Mag Mell with cunning and disgusting Goblin high lords and other awesome creatures. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyger Tyger.

August 1, 2010 – Shelved
April 22, 2011 – Shelved as: first-in-a-serie
September 5, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own
September 6, 2011 – Started Reading
September 8, 2011 –
page 18
5.36% "these few pages are very, VERY promising !"
September 11, 2011 –
page 167
49.7% "love the setting, and monsters in this story ;-)"
September 12, 2011 –
page 247
73.51% "I'm gonna miss Finn calling Aiden "BOYO"!! lol"
September 13, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
September 13, 2011 – Finished Reading
February 17, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, I'm excited to see what you thought! I've been slacking from school and work but I want to finish it!!