Cody's Reviews > White Hot Kiss

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I COULD READ THIS A THOUSAND TIMES AND STILL LOVE IT!

This was my first book by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I think it will forever be a favourite of mine. Don’t get me wrong every book or series she releases I become obsessed with to the point were they get 5 stars because I haven’t moved off my ass for hours because I can’t bear to part from the book and compare every other book boyfriend on the planet to her gorgeous characters… This isn’t sad at all!

So when it came to reading White Hot Kiss again, I was absolutely thrilled to find it was like reading the book a fresh with all the plot twists, drama, tension, angst and FEELS!

JLA manages to make people made of stone sexy and demons with some interesting piercings and tattoo’s the hottest people on the planet. When she decides to write a male love interest she does not hold back.

Naturally we have two warring enemies The Wardens (gargoyles) and The Demons. Layla is a hybrid of the two; because of this she can see people’s souls and leave a ‘mark’ on a Demon that only The Warden’s can see and use to hunt them. Warden Zayne is Layla's best friend and childhood crush but he still treats her as an annoying friend/sister, nothing can ever happen between them; Layla can’t kiss anyone with a soul and Zayne has the purest soul, to do so would kill him. Perfect!

Enter Roth, the baddest thing in town; Roth, a demon who also happens to be the most alluring, sexy, arrogant person ever… and that whole nothing kissing people with a soul? Not a problem here, demons don’t have souls. Layla is helpless to Roth’s antic’s, she knows he’s bad news, if the Wardens found her even speaking to a demon she would be branded a traitor but what can she do when he turns up at her school, the park and even the bathroom? There's only so much resisting a girl can do!

“At some point, Roth had gotten hold of my cell and replaced Zayne's name with Stony and listed his own number under Sexy Beast. What a tool. I grinned.”

I’m sure it’s obvious that this book will feature a love triangle but trust me you will not mind it but if you really do oppose them I would still give this book a try as it’s much more focused on one side of the triangle and not a pissing contest at every turn. The romance is sizzling as JLA always pushes the boundaries on YA, which I love! It does get a little cheesy at times and maybe you want more action but it really doesn't take anything away from the story and truly these thoughts only enter your mind after you've read the book and reflect on it.

"I think you like me," Roth said suddenly.
I stopped pacing and my heart did a funny little jump. "What? No."
He tilted his head to the side, his lips spreading into a teasing grin. "The way you lie to yourself is sort of cute."
"I'm not lying."
"Hmm..." He sat up, eyes glimmering with mirth. "You wanted me to kiss you earlier.”
Heat flooded my cheeks. "No. I did not."
"You're right. You wanted me to do much, much more."

This was such a fun read, even the secondary characters were amazing, this book is filled with sexual tension, forbidden romance, childhood-crushes and a lot of humour that will have you laughing along the way. The cliffhanger for me was heartbreaking, it was no less traumatic reading it the second time around.. some series sacrifices are made!

“I lost myself the moment I found you.”

Literary-ly Obsessed

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Hot Kiss.

December 29, 2014 – Shelved
December 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2015 – Started Reading
January 1, 2015 –
page 269
69.33% "My god, this book is something else... LOVING IT!"
page 400
100% "I bloody loved this book, i am putting it down now only to pick up the next!!!"
January 2, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2015 –
page 186
47.94% "Completely falling back in love with this book! <33"
July 19, 2015 –
page 372
95.88% ""I lost myself the moment I found you." .... I AM DEAD"

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Joyce I think I could reread this book over and over again too. Great review, BTW.

Cody Thanks Joyce! It really is an amazing series, 8 days till Every Last Breath, arghh I'm not ready haha :)

Joyce You aren't ready because you are rereading the books?

Cody I'm not ready for the series to come to an end, I have no idea who Layla will choose either!

Joyce Maybe Jennifer will do a spinoff series. I know what you mean. I don't know who she will end up and what it will mean if she does end up with them. She has a soul. Roth doesn't. She can unwillingly kill Zayne. She can't kill Roth - or suck out his soul, anyway. The Wardens don't want her, and right now it looks like she belongs with Roth, but who knows how the story will end.

Cody Ohh I would love a spinoff series, I really like Cayman & Stacey! I completely agree with you, all signs point to Roth but with it being the last book and the fact that the readers got to choose who Layla end's up with, it could be anyone! God only knows how she will get around the whole 'soul sucking' dilemma if everyone voted for Zayne :/

Joyce She will have to bet Bambi back. :) I'll bet she does anyway because Roth said that Bambi belonged to her as much as Bambi belonged to him.

Wait. The readers got to choose who Layla ends up with? I somehow missed that.

Cody You're right she would would have to keep Bambi on her permanently, that's a little awkward haha.

Yes, Jennifer set up a poll for people to vote for who Layla should end up with! I missed it too, would have loved to get my Roth vote in <3

Joyce You know, I sort of remember that poll now. Yeah, I hope Roth wins too.