Brianna's Reviews > Jack Kerouac's American Journey: The Real-Life Odyssey of On the Road

Jack Kerouac's American Journey by Paul Maher Jr.

Jul 31, 2010

liked it
Recommended for: Kerouac fans
Read from July 31 to August 03, 2010

This book is like watching an episode of Mad Men. The men are awful and misogynistic, the women are loose and trampled upon. You wouldn't want any of these people as family, but you can't help being interested.

It gathers together accounts of Jack Kerouac, Neal Cassady, Allen Ginsberg, and others whose real life wanderings made it into Kerouac's amazing On The Road

If you love Kerouac's masterpiece as much as I do, you'll find this book a necessary read. If you don't, go read On The Road again, because you're missing out.

eta: This book also details how Kerouac put everything together and the amount of time and rewrites it took through the years. Which is both interesting and comforting, if you've ever tried to write fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack Kerouac's American Journey.

07/31/2010 page 118

message 1: by ayrdaomei (new)

ayrdaomei Did we both buy copies of On The Road that day I was taking you to the airport? I have this vague recollection that we did, but I certainly never got past the first 10 or so pages :X

Brianna Yup, we bought them at BAM in Arundel Mills. I loved it and you didn't like it :P