Nick's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite-authors, favorites, series, romance, mystery, historical-fiction

description

4.5 GREAT AWESOME COOL FANTASTIC BRILLIANTSTARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I am going to part this review in two sections(parts) because I don't want to give spoilers away but also want to share some of the scenes I really enjoyed with people who have also read the book so we can discuss together.So the first part of the review will be SPOILER FREE and everyone can read it,and the second part will be filled with spoilers so if you haven't read the book don't go there,unless you want to get spoiled.So without making this extremely long I will start with Part one:)

description

Part 1(Spoiler free review)

I will start with how I got into "Outlander":
I was tumbling and searching the search engines,bored because I had already seen all the mid season finales of the shows I watch,so I had nothing to do.I was in a reading slump somehow,and in a mood for tv.It was nearly New Year,so there was no tv show or series that I wanted to watch currently airing.So I decided to search for some good series,and my eyes caught "Outlander".I did not know anything about the show nor book before then.So I read the synopsis and it was intriguing and it was a new show,so I decided to watch it.After like 3 minutes after I started watching the first episode,I was totally hung up to the show and watched all aired episodes on one night.Tomorrow,after like 3 or 4 hours of sleep that I had,I checked for the next episode,and that's when I had a heart attack.The new episode was going to be aired in April.And it was December then.Hopeless as I felt,I started searching for the book,because if you have seen the series you would know the cliffhanger of the last episode.So after 2 freaking weeks I finally got the book and started reading it.The first 300 pages were cool,but not interesting because I had seen the show and believe me the show follows the book perfectly,so it took me sometime to read those pages,but after that,the pages flew.You don't know how interesting this book gets after 200 pages.Because of the school and stuff,it took me 3 weeks to finish this book,and I am so glad I read it.Last night I read the last page and I am really looking forward to the next book.

description

I am sorry if you found the part above uninteresting and unnecessary,but I really wanted to share that with you guys,and if you have a story of how you got into this book,please share with me in the comments.Okay so I promise no more babbling and here comes my thoughts on the book:
Outlander is a time travel romance fantasy novel.This is the first book in the series with the same name "Outlander".It is about a woman called Claire Randall who is in her second honeymoon with her husband in Highlands,in Scotland.She is a nurse and her husband is a historian I believe,something like this.The year is 1945,after the world war II and it was the first time that Claire and her husband Randall are together after the war.Their relationship has had it's ups and down over the years,but they are pretty devoted to each other and everything seems fine.One day,as Claire goes to ancient circles,a place really old and interesting,through the standing stone,she travels back in time to 1743.Now she is rounded with lairds and people who she doesn't know and has to live a style of life she never experienced before.There she meets Jamie,a young lad,who she shares a long journey with.Now she has to decide somehow between the life here and the life before,and what will she choose?

description

This book seriously has some pretty great characters.Starting with Claire who is the main character,a very intelligent and wise woman,who stands for what she believes.She goes through so much in this story and she is well developed.In the other hand we have Jamie,also one of the main characters,a strong and also wise man.You can't imagine what a life he had,and he's still standing.And maybe it is just be but for a person in 1700s Jamie has a pretty developed sense of humor.Like there were some moments I laughed out loud.Jenny also was a favorite of mine.Beside some scenes,which I am going to mention in the part two of this review,she was a solid character,and I liked that.

description

So you know there is not much happening or going on on this book.You may be surprised because this is nearly 900 pages,they are only a few big moments on this book,but it is not boring.And that because of the writing style.This book contains a lot of harsh and disgusting moments,but there is also peace,cheerful moments that are really good.

____________________________________________
“Don't be afraid. There's the two of us now.”

____________________________________________

Now I am going to jump on the part two of this review so if you don't want to get spoiled,skip this part to the end where I am going to give my final thoughts about this book.

Part 2

Okay fellow readers,now we are really talking freely.First I am going to mention a list of things I liked and didn't in this book.

What I liked:

-Geillis Duncan's talking
-Geillis Duncan's everything
-The hot water place in the end of the book
-Jamie's jokes
-Murtagh
-Ian Murray

What I didn't like:

-Jonathan Randall

Seriously I have never hated a character this much.Especially the scene with the Jamie and the dungeon.It was one of the worst experienced I have ever read about,truly disgusting.This characters,for me,does not have a good quality,one of the worst characters I have ever read about.And to be honest,I was surprised how Jamie let that happen.He knew that he was going to die tomorrow and Claire was already out,so why did he let him do that,he could have killed him,and he would have nothing to loose.

____________________________________________
“I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.”

____________________________________________

One of the best scenes in the book,or let's say the best joke of the book,for me,was when Jamie went out in the end,and Claire was searching for him,and she found him,and she yelled at him saying that you could have been attacked by a bear,and it was Winter so Jamie told her that Bears sleep at Winter.This doesn't really sound funny explaining it,but I laughed so much at this,like it was a burn for Claire.

“Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone,
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.”

____________________________________________

Also the part with Gellis Duncan was awesome,when she admitted that she was a witch just to save Claire and Jamie.Gellis was my favorite character of the book,and I was so angry when she dies.

____________________________________________
“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary”

____________________________________________

Parts I did not like were the one with Jenny giving birth.It was so awkward to read,maybe for me,but it felt like I was reading something forbidden,I don't know why.And also the part with Jenny playing with her breast,spilling the milk out,I didn't was to know that nipple trick,and it was awkward also.

The part for everyone:

I highly recommend this book to every reader out there,if you enjoy fantasy and time travel I think this is the best choice.Pick it up and don't be scared of the pages.Pick it up!

*Pictures from the review are not mine, I took them mostly from Google images or Tumblr*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

December 28, 2014 – Shelved
December 30, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 28, 2015 – Started Reading
January 28, 2015 –
page 50
5.58% "Buddy reading:)\n description"
February 10, 2015 –
page 450
50.22% "description"
February 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)

message 1: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria I think you'll enjoy this series, Nick. My friends who've read it did. : )

Robin (Bridge Four) Etnik I think I'm doing a buddy read of the entire series starting in Feb with this group.

I'm sure you could join in if you are interested. We start Outlander on Feb 20

Nick Maria wrote: "I think you'll enjoy this series, Nick. My friends who've read it did. : )"

Of course I will.Thank you Maria<33

James This book is really good and it feels nice not to be the only guy around my age who has this read this book if you decide to read it.

Nick James wrote: "This book is really good and it feels nice not to be the only guy around my age who has this read this book if you decide to read it."

I am waiting to the book.I am sure I will read it.Actually I lot of my buddies have read this book,they say it is awesome:)

Tanya Robin wrote: "Etnik I think I'm doing a buddy read of the entire series starting in Feb with this group.

I'm sure you could join in if you a..."

Yes! Join us :)

Liz* Fashionably Late I think you're surrounded, Etnik ^^ Join us!

Aurelie I honestly believe it's one of the best series ever writing. I really hope for you, you'll enjoy it, as much as I did :))

NinaReader Hope you enjoy it Etnik!

Martina omg *high fives you*
the tv series is really really good but you should read the book, because it is just amazing

message 11: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Yeah I think I will start this book next week.Hopefully I can get the book til then:)

Carol The pages will fly by! :-)

message 13: by Mona (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Feedback: You will love this book! I did. I haven't seen the TV series (only the trailers) and suspect the book is even better than the TV series. P.S. Listen to the audiobook if you can get it. It's very good.

message 14: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Hey, this seems intriguing. Haven't heard about the tv series or the book series before. So, how good is it? What's the heart of the story in it? And why are you soooo smitten with it? ^_^

message 15: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Sarina wrote: "Hey, this seems intriguing. Haven't heard about the tv series or the book series before. So, how good is it? What's the heart of the story in it? And why are you soooo smitten with it? ^_^"

It's about a woman who time travels 2 centuries ago and now she has to fit with the life there.The tv series is one of my favorites and the book is also being one:)

message 16: by Mona (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Sarina wrote: "Hey, this seems intriguing. Haven't heard about the tv series or the book series before. So, how good is it? What's the heart of the story in it? And why are you soooo smitten with it? ^_^"

Hi, Sarina. The time travel is terrific, but so are the characters.

It's a romance, but not the silly bodice-ripper kind (no offense to people who like these, it's just not my thing :) )

The main characters are Claire Beauchamp Randall, a strong and extremely smart Englishwoman who eventually becomes a doctor, and Jamie Fraser, a Scottish warrior and farmer. Claire time travels back to 18th century Scotland while on vacation in Scotland. Eventually she meets Jamie and they are soul mates and become romantically involved. Jamie teasingly calls Claire "Sassenach", which means Outlander. There are lots of other characters, and actual physical travel in the series also. Anyway it's well written and compelling; and very romantic.

message 17: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Etnik wrote: "It's about a woman who time travels 2 centuries ago and now she has to fit..."
Hmm. More questions bubbling up in my mind but gonna save them for later. Will definitely watch or read the series... The plot is not that much atypical, but seems interesting enough. Thanks!

message 18: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Mona wrote: "It's a romance, but not the silly bodice-ripper kind..."
Thank you, for telling me about it.Umm, I like different kinds of romance at different times, and depending on my mood, I get annoyed at those kinds sometimes too. But..what's the silly bodice-ripper kind? :p Ok, I'm not sure if I wanna read the book right now, since I wouldn't be able to bear it if I got too invested in their tale and at the end she had to go back to her own time/era! I mean, sometimes it works, in tune with the story..URGHHH I will just read the book! And whatever the end, I sense from the way you wrote that the whole journey might be worth it! BUT, (I know I use a lot of 'but's.....shrug :/) since the first book in the series is reallyyy huge (627p) & I haven't read that large a book in ages, I think, since "Lord of The Rings") & wow,I see now that there are more than 8 books in the Outlander series(even though I'm only concerned about seeing how the first book goes), so it might take a while before I start reading it. Or do you reckon I should just watch the tv show first? It seems the tv adaptation is good, at least to Etnik here. ^_^ And it's nice to have this discussion about an epic fantasy series with a goodreader after a looong long time. Thanks again! :D

message 19: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Oh, after reading the book blurb, I finally remember!!! I read about this book a few years back in goodreads(when there was no tv show for it) and researched about the series... then I perhaps decided it was too much to invest in, or too epic, and decided to forego it... Now the series has come back to haunt/call me!! Hmm, I do tend to forget things. I forgot about the series too. Let's see, if I get to start it sooner or later.

message 20: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. You're making me want to read this :D

Linda (Miss Greedybooks) I made some progress! Have to shop for Jim today, but I will get back to it soon. Then I will probably watch the series after I have finished... but we have 7 more books to go! :D

message 22: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Linda (Miss Greedybooks) wrote: "I made some progress! Have to shop for Jim today, but I will get back to it soon. Then I will probably watch the series after I have finished... but we have 7 more books to go! :D"

Yeah we do,but so awesome so far:)

message 23: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Vane wrote: "You're making me want to read this :D"

You should.I know it is a little huge but it's great believe me:)

Emily Don't take this the wrong way.. You're just one of the very few of the male gender who actually enjoy Outlander. That's very rare and cool xD

message 25: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Emily wrote: "Don't take this the wrong way.. You're just one of the very few of the male gender who actually enjoy Outlander. That's very rare and cool xD"

I like it.It´s greatly written and the story is interesting:)
There are a few things I would change,but other than that it´s quite good:)

message 26: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. You have not finished it, have you? Because based on your updates, I think I'll get it. I'm just gonna wait for you review :)

message 27: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Vane wrote: "You have not finished it, have you? Because based on your updates, I think I'll get it. I'm just gonna wait for you review :)"

I have still 250 more to go:(

message 28: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. Woah, so it is a huge book.

message 29: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Vane wrote: "Woah, so it is a huge book."

it is.It is 850 pages long:/

Tavona I love this show and I cannot wait to read the book!

message 31: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Etnik wrote: "Vane wrote: "Woah, so it is a huge book."

it is.It is 850 pages long:/"

Listen to the audiobook if you can. Makes it easier to get through.

message 32: by Marla Mei (new) - added it

Marla Mei This is such a long-ass book but I love the tv series so I'm gonna read this soon. I HAVE TO! Do you watch the show too?

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Of course.One of my favorite shows of all time:)

Linda (Miss Greedybooks) I finished reading it last night too! I must watch the show now. Thanks for suggesting the buddy read - It was a great choice! :D

Wendy'sThoughts OMG you are a rock star!!! I loved this and yes the feels... so say no more! :DDDD

message 36: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Linda (Miss Greedybooks) wrote: "I finished reading it last night too! I must watch the show now. Thanks for suggesting the buddy read - It was a great choice! :D"

Yeah it was fun.How did you like it?

message 37: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "OMG you are a rock star!!! I loved this and yes the feels... so say no more! :DDDD"

Thank you so much Wendy.I just posted my full review on the book if you want to read it:)

message 38: by Laz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laz I'm reading this right now as well. I've read half of the book in 3 days. I'm devouring it. It's a great, great read!

message 39: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. I'm not planning to read this book anytime soon, unfortunately (I will eventually read it, don't worry), but I wanted to tell you that everytime you write a new review, it is better than the previous one, no matter if I hated the book you reviewed, which sometimes happens, unfortunately.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Florence Glad you liked it!

message 41: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Laz wrote: "I'm reading this right now as well. I've read half of the book in 3 days. I'm devouring it. It's a great, great read!"

Yeah it is,hope you like it:)

message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Vane wrote: "I'm not planning to read this book anytime soon, unfortunately (I will eventually read it, don't worry), but I wanted to tell you that everytime you write a new review, it is better than the previo..."

Thank you so much Vane,really,thanks for appreciating my reviews<3

message 43: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Jessica wrote: "Glad you liked it!"

Thanks Jessica:))

message 44: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy Awesome review, Nick! :D

Amy | Foxy Blogs LOVE this review!!! I'm glad you were able to find the book... I remember when you were searching for it. :)

message 46: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Yeah I did.So glad I read it.Totally worth it.Thank you,glad you liked the review:))

message 47: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Nick, your review,
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Glad you liked the book! : )

message 48: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Maria wrote: "Nick, your review,

Glad you liked the book! : )"

hahahah the gif,so freaking awesome:)

message 49: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria And "Hi" back, Nick! *waves*.

~♡AB♡~ Fabulous review, Etnik! I am so glad you ended up loving it :D