Bronwyn's Reviews > Godslayer

Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey

Jul 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The second book in The Sundering, Godslayer is a book that will ultimately rip your heart out- throughout the first book and into the second, you are treated to a view of "evil" that really makes you hope the "bad guy" wins- never have I wanted to see a hero fail so badly.

I think, though, that the most interesting part of Godslayer (and Banewreaker as well) is the re-affirming of the idea that there are always two sides to a story, there are real people on both sides of a war. Evil experiences emotional loss the same as good, and what we think of as ultimately evil may, in the end, just have been someone playing a role they didn't even want.

I found out about 1/3 of the way into this book that Carey was loosely basing her story around the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I have to admit that I had a very emotional reaction to this, and was sort of angry that I'd found out. Despite the constant foreshadowing of the downfall of Lord Satoris (aka. Sauron), I held out hope that "evil" would prevail; once I realized it was inspired by the Lord of the Rings, I knew then and there that the ending was never going to be good for the "evil" characters I had come to love throughout the books. And I suppose that means mission accomplished; Carey was able to get me emotionally invested in the characters, and to see the story from another perspective.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godslayer.