Kimberly's Reviews > The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, borrowed-from-library
Read 2 times. Last read January 27, 2015 to February 5, 2015.

British supermodel Lula Landry tumbles to her death from her third-floor balcony on a freezing cold night. Although all signs point to suicide, her brother John Bristow thinks there is more to the story. So he hires private detective Cormoran Strike to get to the bottom of it. Cormoran has his own problems -- kicked out of his home by his ex, broke, and injured from a tour in Afghanistan. But he and his (temporary) assistant Robin work the case and take an unforgettable tour of London's jet-set crowd.

I love reading mysteries but I'm REALLY DUMB when it comes to mysteries. Very rarely do I figure out who the murderer is at all when everyone else on Goodreads has it nailed by page 30. So I was a bit surprised by the ending. This wasn't a real page turner, which is okay for me.

I enjoyed the twists and turns, and by the end I was rooting for Cormoran and Robin to win the day.

Oh, and the elephant in the room? I knew that Robert Galbraith is JK Rowling, but that didn't sway me at all, because I quit the Harry Potter series on the book where the first eleventy-hundred pages was about the Quidditch World Cup. Ugh. So that didn't sway me.

This is the first in a series - I'll give the second a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cuckoo's Calling.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
December 28, 2014 – Shelved
December 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 27, 2015 – Started Reading
January 28, 2015 –
February 2, 2015 –
47.0% "It's not an up-all-night pageturner for me, but that's good."
February 3, 2015 –
February 5, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 15, 2015 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery