Lisa Vegan's Reviews > San Francisco: Views of the Past & Present

San Francisco by George Ross Jezek

Jul 30, 2010

bookshelves: art, history, non-fiction, san-francisco, reviewed
Recommended for: those who know and love San Francisco
Read from August 01 to 03, 2010 — I own a copy

This was a terrific companion book to read while I was reading Golden Gate: The Life and Times of America's Greatest Bridge‎ because of the before, during, after photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. Spectacular!

The Golden Gate area and Bridge pictures were my very favorites. I also enjoyed seeing Playland, even though the photo was before my time of knowing it. There were many photos of areas immediately after the 1906 quake and fire, and then the corresponding photos of how those locations look today. The selection of photos was a tad repetitive in showing similar scenes and close locations, sometimes almost exact places more than once.

This is a coffee table type book, but because of the detailed captions, it has a lot of substance. The quality of all of the photos (present and past) is high.

There was a museum exhibit in San Francisco a while back that I loved, that had post earthquake/fire of ’06 and present photos of the same location. Via a computer, you could also superimpose the photos over each other, which was a fascinating exercise. This book reminded me a bit of that exhibit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read San Francisco.

07/30/2010 page 1
1.0% "Reading this with the Golden Gate book, and also rereading To Kill a Mockingbird, and reading a cookbook too."
08/02/2010 page 20
15.0% "Good to read along with Starr's Golden Gate book."
08/02/2010 page 42
32.0% "Excellent companion book to Starr's Golden Gate book."

Lisa Vegan Edited to add book link properly.