Candi's Reviews > Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

liked it

A graduate of Cambridge with a math degree, Serena Frome is recruited to work for an intelligence agency during early 1970’s Cold War England. She has been assigned to operation “Sweet Tooth” and a young, promising new author, Tom Haley. This book is not your typical, fast-paced espionage thriller. This is a book about secrets, betrayals, and the power and artifice of the written word.

I got a bit bogged down with the more specific politics of the time, not being well versed in the early 1970’s Cold War era. However, as a great fan of McEwan’s novel, Atonement, I decided to hang on and give it a try. I particularly enjoyed the literary discussions and references throughout the novel, and was intrigued by the relationship between Serena and Tom. However, I never felt completely fascinated by the characters themselves. What did draw me in was Mr. McEwan’s style and the belief that he would surprise me once again. I was not disappointed! McEwan has a clever way of manipulating a reader and again makes me wonder about our roles as readers and writers. Can he really do that?!

I would give this book 3.5 stars, as it was not quite as well deserving of the 4 star novel, Atonement, which I felt to be very compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Tooth.

December 27, 2014 – Started Reading
December 27, 2014 – Shelved
December 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2015 –
page 245
January 7, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce How telling that this author is able to manipulate his reading public. Wonderful review, Candi.

Candi Marialyce wrote: "How telling that this author is able to manipulate his reading public. Wonderful review, Candi."

Thank you, Marialyce! I've just now realized that I'm very overdue for another McEwan novel :)

Pedro Great review, Candi. I’ve read a few years ago and I thought it was quite good (specially when compared to Amsterdam). I can remember being really surprised about the ending. I need to read On Chesil Beach and Nutshell.

Candi Pedro wrote: "Great review, Candi. I’ve read a few years ago and I thought it was quite good (specially when compared to Amsterdam). I can remember being really surprised about the ending. I need to read On Ches..."

Thank you, Pedro! I have a few of his books that I'd like to get to. I don't know why I haven't picked one up in so long because I am really intrigued by his writing :)