Sally's Reviews > White House Nannies

White House Nannies by Barbara Kline

Jul 29, 2010

bookshelves: comedic, contemporary, humor, non-fiction, women-s-interest, light
Read from July 29 to 30, 2010

We've all seen the television shows and movies that mock the parents requiring full time nannies, idolize and vilify said nannies and/or parents, and give us kids who are angels or devils with no gray area. This book, written by the woman behind the nannies, shows just how true - and false - such stereotyping can be.

While I can't exactly relate to these people in their high-powered jobs with nannies holding the home together, I did enjoy Kline's efforts to humanize these giants of the D.C. area. Obviously, it's a hard-knock life when you have to hire somebody to look after your precious little infant....

Okay, so I don't hold much sympathy for the parents and I cheer on all the poor nannies. I think Kline played a little too much to the sympathies of her clients who may be reading her book, but it's all still pretty amusing to read.

I'd recommend this as the perfect book for a day at the beach or on a plane - very light reading, not a lot of intellectual work, enough humor to keep it interesting without ever getting that laugh-out-loud quality I normally enjoy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White House Nannies.