Jaclyn's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jul 29, 2010

bookshelves: dystopian, fantasy-science-fiction, series, young-adult, books-i-own
Read in July, 2010

Great book! I'm always a little wary of dystopian novels b/c I don't generally like dark topics and as a rule dystopian fiction can be pretty dark. However, I really liked this book and can not wait to read book two of this trilogy.
The story takes place on the continent of North America, but it's not as we know it today. There are 12 Districts and the Capitol. Every year, to remind the districts of their power over them, the Capitol hosts the Hunger Games. Each of the Districts contributes 2 participants to the games, one male aand one female, between the ages of 12-18. The participants are chosen through a lottery system but the lottery pick can be overturned if there is a willing participant to take their place. When Katniss' younger sister is chosen for this year's Games, Katniss does the unthinkable and volunteers to go in her place. The catch is, there can only be one winner and the rest will die a brutal death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.