Tom Andes's Reviews > Snitch World

Snitch World by Jim Nisbet

2089601
Dec 26, 2014

This was a pleasant surprise, a book I picked up at the PM Press table at the New Orleans Bookfair because I wanted to see what kind of noir they were doing that turned into one of the more enjoyable novels I've read lately. More than anything, it's a love song (or perhaps an elegy) for a disappearing San Francisco, the blue collar city that started vanishing in earnest around 1993 (though the novel is set in the mid-2000s) and has continued to cling to life through successive tech booms and market busts. Though it takes a couple chapters to pick up steam, once it does, Nisbet works a nice twist on noir formula, including a femme fatale who's trying to hack a competitor's cloud via his stolen phone. The moral of the story? The small time thugs and lowlifes who populate the remaining dive bars in the Tenderloin might lift your wallet, but at least they have a code of ethics, which is more than you can say for the dot commies driving them out of the city, who would rat out their own mothers for a nickel. This is a brisk, funny, thought-provoking entertainment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snitch World.

Finished Reading