Abby's Reviews > Keeping the Moon

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

Jul 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: sarah-dessen, read-in-2010, reviews

For me, this wasn't as good as other Sarah Dessen books. And before I even begin reading it, I've had high expectations on this one, because I've read that this is Sarah's favorite among the books she'd written. But it doesn't quite keep me interested in it like her other novels did.

I don't really like Colie (the main character & narrator) that much. She's just usually quiet and doesn't stand up for herself, not until the very end. And I kept waiting for something big to happen, like a twist or just some event to get me on the edge while reading. But it doesn't come. I didn't really realize I was close to the end, because I kept waiting and waiting, so I was stunned that I was almost finished reading when i'm on the last few pages.

But it still has some morals in it. I learned that nobody really failed on anything. Because failing means you've tried, and that's already an accomplishment on its own. It means you've started, you've taken one step already. And it teaches us to believe that everything will turn out right eventually, because when somebody's keeping the moon, sooner or later it will surely appear again in the sky, bright and full of hope. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Moon.

Quotes Abby Liked

Sarah Dessen
“I don't believe in failure, because simply by saying you've failed, you've admitted you attempted. And anyone who attempts is not a failure. Those who truly fail in my eyes are the ones who never try at all. The ones who sit on the couch and whine and moan and wait for the world to change for them.”
Sarah Dessen, Keeping the Moon

July 29, 2010 – Started Reading
July 29, 2010 – Shelved
July 31, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 22, 2010 – Shelved as: sarah-dessen
December 15, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010
September 21, 2011 – Shelved as: reviews

Indigo felt the same way

Vanesa I feel the same. I'm reading it right now and it's just not as good as what I was hoping for. But like you said, it does have morals:)

Abby Vanesa wrote: "I feel the same. I'm reading it right now and it's just not as good as what I was hoping for. But like you said, it does have morals:)" Yep, too much expectation before reading the book I guess. Thanks for the like! :)

Tish G. I totally agree! I literally just turned the last page a few minutes ago and was stunned to see the 'About the Author' page staring at me. I kept waiting for something to happen between Mira and Kiki or Bea and Mira or even that big head baby. And the ending just felt way too abrupt. If I hadn't read the ebook I would assume some pages had been ripped out.

Nicole Houser you summed it up perfectly!