Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Garlic And Sapphires: the secret life of a food critic

Garlic And Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

Jul 29, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, 5-stars, memoir, non-fiction, 2013, owned-audiobook, foodie
Read from August 17, 2010 to August 30, 2013 , read count: 2

One of the best foodie books I've read in a long time - even if I did get ridiculously hungry for good food while reading it. I do NOT recommend reading a couple of chapters and then going out to heat up left-overs :-/

The stories of a restaurant critic were fascinating to read, and the way she went about creating new characters as not to be recognized had me in stitches. I really enjoyed Ruth Reichl's writing style, and also liked the way she portrayed herself in this memoir - not arrogantly, but aware of her own mistakes and shortcomings.

Really brilliant book, even if it is perhaps a tad too old to be used as an accurate restaurant guide for NYC - more's the pity, as I'd have loved to try some of the restaurants she visited!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garlic And Sapphires.

08/17/2010 page 159
45.0% "and loving it! Even if it does make me incredibly hungry for good food!"
08/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/23/2013
25.0% "Loving this just as much as on my first read-through :)"
08/25/2013
66.0% "This book has two serious problems - it makes me so hungry for good food, and it really makes me want to go back to NYC!"
09/01/2013 marked as: read

Nightfalltwen I'm reading one of her other books, "Tender at the Bone" which is a somewhat-memoir of Ruth's childhood and young adulthood. It's really good so far. You might like it.

Maria Elmvang I've added one of her memoirs to my to-read list - can't remember if it's "Tender at the Bone" or the other one (can't remember the title just now), but it's whichever one comes first :) Definitely sounds like something I'd like!

Nightfalltwen I just looked it up. Tender at the Bone is the first one, yes. Comfort Me With Apples is the sequel to Tender at The bone. I finished it the day after I commented to you about it. Really, really enjoyed it.

Maria Elmvang Thanks for letting me know! I should be able to get it through interlibrary loan :)