DJ's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

bookshelves: books-read-in-2017, dystopia, kindle, one-of-a-series, young-adult

Well. I really didn't think I'd like this book as much as I did. It's one where I'm sorta wishing I had opened it sooner....but I'm glad I waited because now I can read straight through the series.

First, let me explain this dystopia, the rules state you are going to be placed in a caste and that will dictate your wealth and status and whatever job you do. One's are the queen, king and their children. Twos are up there. Threes lower...and they fall and stumble and crack down to the homeless eights. It's these castes that keep people apart and squabbling and this country (Illea) as well as others in turmoil.

The Selection is like American Idol meets the Bachelor meets The Dating Game. The secluded Prince needs a wife and what better way to have a pool for him to choose from than holding a lottery where 35 potential brides are chosen.

America Singer, a five and musician, is among the picks. She's plucky and smart ass and in love with Aspen Leger, a six...someone considered beneath her. But she loves him and makes it work and fights the selection at its core.

Let's just say when she first meets Maxon, the prince, it wasn't the best of circumstances. In my head, I saw America as a young Amy Adams:
America Singer
And Maxon had this way about him that made me think of:
America Singer

Yeah...Joffrey from Game of Thrones. So that made their meeting even more humourous, IMO.

What I adored was their interactions. They were so hateful yet loving and sometimes so sweet I could only squeal out... "Oh...cute..." But then America had to find what was really in her heart, because she was still pining for Aspen, though he dumped her before she left.

It was getting all good and drama but it ended just as America was one of The Elite--the last six girls in the competition for Maxon's heart.

As if that wasn't enough, there was so much more with the troubles of Illea...the rebels from the North, rebels from the South...all in hate of the King and the Selection. America's family upset, too. America's maids' stories...(and maybe I'm confusing the books some as I've been reading from one into another without much pause, because they are good!)

I can't recommend this one enough. A good four and a half stars at the very least from me...I'm on book four and still enjoying it!

*A PROM-LATED FAIRY TALE ~ THE SELECTION* - APRIL 2017
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

December 25, 2014 – Shelved
December 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2017 – Started Reading
March 31, 2017 –
page 20
5.9% "Starting this series... 30 days to finish."
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: dystopia
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2017
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: one-of-a-series
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: kindle
April 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2017 –
page 269
79.35% "Now is the point where I'm considering fighting off sleep and reading straight into book two..."
April 6, 2017 –
page 269
April 11, 2017 –
99.0% "review very soon!"