Ferruccio Fiordispini's Reviews > The Story of Art

The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich

So smooth and clear as to be read in audio-book!
It is probably the most famous of all art history books. Gombrich is a great expert of history as a whole (in fact, I strongly suggest you to read this “Story of Art” in conjunction with his delicious "A Little History of the World"). And most important, he is a great communicator. This book helps, quite clearly and fluently, to understand the function, the meaning and the evolution of the visual arts, especially painting, but also sculpture and architecture. The author does not insist too much in describing the details of single works, but it explains a wide selection of them in order to allow the understanding of the artistic and technical development. Therefore you can read it like a gripping novel, and as such, it is easy to understand even without following figures: in fact, I've read (heard) it in audio-book format and have had no difficulty at all. Of course I had many of the described works clear and familiar in my mind, but first of all the description done by Gombrich was so good to make them immediately understandable and imaginable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Art.

Started Reading