Charles's Reviews > Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 3

Neon Genesis Evangelion by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

bookshelves: 2015-challenge, manga-graphic-novels, stat_3, science-fiction, reviewed

Stuff I Read - Neon Genesis Evangelion vol. 7, 8, & 9 Review

Not gonna lie, I rather like reading this series in omnibus form. For all that there's a lot of action and a ton of angst, things just seem to move better having all of these together. Though maybe that has more to do with the fact that I'm super slow and it would have taken me a year or more to read these all separately. So I am quite glad that they are collected here. Of course, most of this volume is dealing with the aftermath of death. Not death on the grand scale that it's been happening. I mean, with each Angel attack people die. But this death has rocked Shinji and put him on the outs with his dad. Real shocker, I know. These volumes explore that death, though, and how it has basically undone all the progress Shinji has made. He can't face school, he can't really connect. Pair that with Asuka's deterioration following the disappearance of the man she was interested in and continuing to underperform, and the series in general is really hitting its stride.

There was a moment there when this series seemed like it could be a high school drama. Where Shinji could almost be normal. That was shattered at the end of the last omnibus and here things are back to bleak bleak bleak. The Angels are continuing to attack and Shinji gets a few pep talks as normal, but the scope of the story starts to shift to show what's happened around the drama. What Shinji's dad is doing. What happened to Shinji's mom. What happened to Asuka's mom. All of these things are revealed, and the story is richer for them. It can't quite escape the tropes from earlier, but my god does it subvert some of them, especially by the arrival of Kowaru. I love how things get flipped there, with a more sexually aggressive character who is a man and so puts Shinji in a lot of awkward situations. He's like a mix of Rei and Asuka and Shinji really can't deal with it while it also seems like he might be into it too. It's crazy and still kinda funny but it represents things starting to come apart.

The plot behind the Angels intensifies, with bigger battles and some really interesting plots and counterplots behind the scenes. Finally a lot of the shadows are clearing and the reader is allowed to see the mysterious council and learn a bit about it all. Of course, it comes at a price, but that works too. For most of this omnibus, things are just being set up. Shinji is restricted here the entire time, not allowed to fight, really, until the end, and things there are...not going well. But it being an omnibus means the slower sections, those dealing with the past, don't dominate, and there's still a nice momentum building, things really starting to shatter from before. The happiness and hope that was present when Shinji was fitting in at school is here gone, and there is a strong sense that it is not coming back.

In the end, the series continues to keep my attention, and I'm liking it even more than the show. The mood has definitely fallen but I've been waiting for Kowaru to show up and now that he's here it's amazing. Naked showers! The way that the series is going, and there there's still give volumes to go, means that there's a lot to happen yet. Which is great. Hopefully it will continue to be fun and dark and deep. These volumes, for me, get an 8/10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neon Genesis Evangelion.

December 25, 2014 – Shelved
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: stat_3
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction
November 20, 2015 –
page 576
100.0% "I love Kowaru and the twist on the tensions Shinji faces with the ladies. Still a very fun and angsty series."
November 20, 2015 – Finished Reading