Christiane's Reviews > Germania: In Wayward Pursuit of the Germans and Their History

Germania by Simon Winder

Jul 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in October, 2010

Finally finished! Not that this was an uninteresting book, but I've found it harder and harder the longer I'm out of school to manage the sustained attention required to read more scholarly works. Luckily, Winder will break up long passages with gems like: "Wandering Köthen's streets, I felt that it had been emptied in some disturbing and total accident which would, with the almost tedious inevitability of the genre, result in my being attacked by red-eyed flesh-eating zombie children around the next corner."
He also uses many, many words that I have never heard before (never mind knew the meaning of) which first irked me since I hate interrupting my reading, but I ended up really enjoying. (Samples: peripatetic, prolix, revanchists, Archaeopteryxes).
This history of Germany ends in 1933 though of course it is impossible to not talk about the Nazi era, but what Winder is really interested in is the fascinating history, culture and civilization before…that came to an earth-shattering end during WWII and, despite so many German’s attempts since 1945, may never be reclaimed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Germania.