Mel's Reviews > Dreams of a Dark Warrior

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole

Jul 28, 2010

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 15 to 25, 2011

Actually: 3,5 stars, but I'm going to bump it up to 4 for entertainment value.

Dreams if a Dark Warrior is the eleventh in the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole and this time it's Regin the Radiant- Valkyrie, notorious swords(wo)man and prankster- battling the odds to find true love. It's a long, hard road, as her fated one turns out to be a human with a vehement hate against anything supernatural.

This book started out great. Regin is smart and funny and in combination with Nïx, she's downright hilarious. There were many laugh out loud moments in the first 300 pages. In contrast, our hero Declan Chase is the brooding, sulking type. His past and the way it influences his future is really dark and the book's intensity level was upped a notch because of it. I really enjoyed the first part of the book because of the high level of tension and the conflicting thoughts and wide variety of emotions.

Sadly though, it went wayward after about 350 pages. The story was all over the place while the plot stopped making sense. There was a track through the wilderness, which is probably the fourth time something similar happens in the series. Adding to the feelings of repetition is the fact that to me all Cole's women start to sound alike. They have a very distinct voice in the beginning of their books, but once they start accepting their mate and start softening up, their inner voices are interchangeable. It could have been Carrow or Lucia talking, I didn't see Regin anymore.
On top of that I was disappointed by the fact that Declan Chase got turned into one of Cole's Scottish werewolves. In the beginning of the story he's a human from Northern Ireland and at the end he talks in monosyllables, growls a lot and throws a 'ken' and an 'aye' in for good measure. Why? I liked Declan just the way he was.

So unfortunately, to me, the highlights of the last part of the book wasn't the happy couple, but a plotting vampire and a mysterious but adorable high school kid. I still can't see why Lothaire - the Enemy of the Old- is supposed to be so scary, but he is funny as hell. Thad was adorable and I loved his interactions with 'mister Lothaire'.

Thad and Lothaire saved the book from a lower rating. I hope the next book is less lengthy and more focused, so that Cole can keep doing what she's good at: entertain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of a Dark Warrior.

02/15/2011 page 1
0.0% 5 comments
02/16/2011 page 58
11.0% "Nix got a bat from a secret admirer. Please let it be Lothaire!!!" 2 comments
02/18/2011 page 201
39.0% "Liking it a lot so far.
Keeping my fingers crossed for more on Lothaire and he shoud be with Nix, damnit!" 25 comments
02/19/2011 page 229
44.0% "Oh Nïx, I love you!" 25 comments
02/21/2011 page 393
76.0% "Whoa! I think Thad is half vampire half incubus. Just a theory." 24 comments
02/24/2011 page 482
94.0% "Just as I was thinking the love scene was hot, our hero Declan says the word 'quim'. Better yet: 'tight little quim'. Takes me right out of it..." 8 comments
04/16/2016 marked as: read

message 51: by Mel (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh my God. I'm so looking forward to reading it! I wish I didn't need to work now or tomorrow and I could just read on! :)

Good luck Mersina.
Enjoy Shay.
Valerie, don't go surpassing me!

Mersina Seena well all day at work I was placing scenarios in my head trying to work out how they will end up. Now I am waiting for bedtime for the kids only 45min to go then I get to read!

message 53: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Whooot, countdown. I'm around page 200. Got some reading doen afterall :)
I'm liking it so far. Love Regin's comment, laughed out loud quite a few times. And I like Declan's inner battle.

I'm pretty bummed though. I was just talking to another GR friend about the books and we're Nix/Lothaire shippers. Just don't think it's going to happen.... :(

Mersina Seena **Cough cough* hang in there for the nix/lothaire thingie, you get a lil moment with the 2 of them!

I am done and finished! Now another wait for the next book.

message 55: by Mel (last edited Feb 18, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Whooooooooow! I still harbor hope :)

MsMiz (Tina) While I think that Nix/Lothaire would be awesome...I still think it is the missing Queen who is his mate. But...I have been wrong before, a lot, so what do I know!

message 57: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel What missing queen?

message 59: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh no, Fury (I want to write Phury, LOL) is Konrad's HEA. Their book will be the last. It's confirmed.

MsMiz (Tina) Oh then see, insight I did not have - I do not pay attention enough. How many more books are there going to be?

message 61: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I must be honest, I just go with what I gathered here and there, I'm too lazy to go to her website.
Anyway, I believe she had an ending in mind at one point, but now she's adding more and more Loreans to the list of HEA's to be made.
Like the Vrekener and the Sorceri girl (forgot her name). They'll probably get a book, while she initially had a short story for them in mind.
I think she's like Ward: as long as people keep reading and the good Lord keeps her above ground, she'll be writing.

message 62: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Ohhh i do hope she'll keep it going! I read somewhere that Lothaire's book is nwxt, so i'll guess we'll find out if Nix the one soon enough.

How's it going Mel? You like?!

message 63: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I haven't read anything yet today. Been busy on GR... *blush*
Mah! If Lothaire is surely next then no way Nix will be his HEA. Didn't Cole want to save her till almost the end?

message 64: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Well, I hate to be saying this but it kinda make sense that each of them will get his own book and HEA, b/c they're both "heavy" characters and putting them as each others HEA will be a "waste" of a possible book for KC... We'll read L's and N's books like goos girls b/c we love them both. see my point?

And i have no clue who's Nix secret admirer. I think KC's gonna surprise us and make her HEA'ing with a young, cute and naive Lorean or a powerful human with a series batman obsession.

message 65: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Shay, you break my heart.

There was talk of Nix and a CUA agent she mentioned a couple of books ago, maybe it's him?

Pooh, I don't like it one bit!
*grumblegrumble*

message 66: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Whats a 'CUA agent'?

And Good morning to you Mel, BTW

message 67: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Sowwy, CIA! I wasn't awake yet, LOL. Good morning Shay. Although, it's almost noon there isn't it?

I didn't read anything last night. Will spend a day in bed today though, to catch up :)

message 68: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Okay, Lothaire just described his mate: "So young and beautiful, innocent eyes gazing up at him with a fearful expression....
Well... Doesn't match my idea of Nix... :'(

Mersina Seena I know I know i know and I was like WTF? So not Nix! But towards the end there is a "moment" with Nix & him. Well I thought it was a moment or was I grasping for something? Anything to make me think it was her??

message 70: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh oh oh I can't wait! :)

Mersina Seena My god woman still not finishe =P

MsMiz (Tina) Ohhh Theorizing on lil' ole Thad huh? He is a cutie and it will be confirmed what he is at the end of the book. At least Cole gives us that much!! hee

message 73: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I'm glad! And I no longer think he's an incubus. Apparently something really dangerous so I'm thinking sorcerer now :)

And no Mersina, I'm still not finished! I know I'm embarrassingly slow but I've been busy with some other book discussions and rarely had time to read. I'm going to finish tonight though, just have a little under 50 pages left.
I think the book was a little too long cause it lost its oomph along the way. Also: all the girls sound alike after they get soft and this is like the third time we're doing a track in the wilderness. I'm glad for Lothaire and Thad in this point of the book, they give it a little extra.

Mersina Seena I have to agree. The oomph and My god factor was lost on me.

message 75: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Takes you right out of the "qhuim"? I was rolling around laughing at he double entendre there!

Yeah Qhuim is a bit weird depending on the context of the book

message 76: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, you're turning 'quim' in to 'Qhuinn'!

message 77: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I'm not going to read your review yet, because I'm soooo behind, but did you know April was reading this in our group too? You could have made a post and actually done a buddy read! She was reading all by herself too ... so sad ...

message 78: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oooow. Way to make me feel bad Shannon! Damnit! I'm going to post now...

message 79: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Where should I be looking?

message 80: by Shannon (last edited Feb 25, 2011 02:14PM) (new) - added it

Shannon You'll have to make your own post since it doesn't exist. Under February Buddy Reads. I had her listed under this book for the February Roll Call but I guess since she thought no one else was reading it she never made a post.

message 81: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Aha...

Nichole (DirrtyH) I can't disagree with anything you said, but it was still 5 stars for me! I couldn't put it down.

message 83: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Me neither... until about halfway ;) I am very curious about Lothaire's book though. Still can't get over the fact he won't be with Nix. *grumblegrumble*

Wicked Incognito Now OH, I agree about the whole Declan turning into another Scottish werewolf thing. What's up with that?! I didn't think that was at all necesary.

message 85: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I know! And it's like she cut 50 points from his IQ...

Wicked Incognito Now It's just weird. It's not like he was masking the brogue the whole time. Surely after about 20 years away from the accent, he just naturally spoke differently. Plus, he's from Ireland.

message 87: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Exactly! Silly Americans...

« previous 1 2 next »